• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What to look for on a 1971 Bronco

Coloradobronco7

Hello folks,

I'm new here and sorry if this is the wrong area to post this questions. I have my eye on a 1971 Bronco that looks to be in good shape. It's got a 302 and the 3 on the tree setup. From what I hear the owner didn't know that the previous owner had installed a turbo until he took it into town for some work. The current owner is fairly old and has used a mechanic to keep everything working. I won't know the extent of how it was installed but hear it runs great. Is there anything I need to look for as far as the bad on this year? I normally have the 78 and 79 years so this is a change. I've always wanted a small Bronco but want to make sure I'm going about it smart. Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

jray

Rusty floor pans, driver and pasengewr sides for sure.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Hmm a turbo on a 302 sounds like fun. Anyhow aside from that the main thing to look at is the body. The less rust the better, Usually areas are floor pans then rocker panels and door posts along with the bottom of the tail gate. Also the inner front fender aprons tend to rust as well. All fixable.
Overall in 71 options were pretty sparce so dont expect much unless the owner has upgraded other things like added power steering or front disc brakes all pluses. hard to say that there could be anything bad about 71 although some would say look at the front axle as it could be a D30 where some have the D44 not a big deal unless you plan on wheeling hard with big tires then you would want the D44.
If you get it definetly post up some pics we would love to see a turbo powered bronco_Of course we like broncos either way.

OP
OP
C

Coloradobronco7

Thanks for the input guys, I ll try to get some pictures up. The story is it has sat in a garage for the last 10 years. The owner has keep it up and going, has some rust about the size of a softball on the rear quarter. He is asking 4750 and is happy with this number. He is going to send me a picture of the vin so I can figure out what it might have as far as rear end, etc...

I'm really wanting to look for the best year on these Broncos. I know opinions vary but I ultimately want to have the best out of the 66 -77 years

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Rust would be more of a factor the year because with all the vendors and aftermarket people we have in the industry now you can make a '66 better then a '77 or any and all yrs anything you want.

ILikeBond

Yeah, condition matters much more than year, but generally the later the more factory updated options (better front axle, power steering and brakes). 77 went to a new style gas cap (like modern ones), and here and there, there are subtle style differences (like the orientation of the rear turn signal, horizontal until 77, then vertical). Finally, you might consider whether the year affects emissions in your state. A 1971 is likely to be exempt, but a 77 may not be for example.

If there is really only rust on one quarter panel and the rig is in good shape, $4,750 is a smoking deal. That might go for $12k+ here.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they said. And with so many parts swaps having gone on over the years, it's hard to say until you see it what it's lacking, or not lacking in.

As mentioned, mid-'71 got the uprated 44 over the smaller 30, so that's a bonus. All years had a Ford 9" rear end. Most common gear ratio choices were 3.50 and 4.11, with some 6-cylinder equipped models having optional 4.56 ratios. But those are commonly swapped, so even a tag or VIN identification might not tell the tale. All EB rear ends used 28 spline axles, with either a small (standard) or large (optional GVWR packages usually) wheel/axle bearings.
All had 302's after '69, 3-spd manual trans until '73, when a C4 auto was made available. Power steering was available at about the same time. Disc brakes didn't come until '76. But again, those are common upgrades that might already have been done.
The '71 model year was actually a good compromise between the older years of '66 to '72 (simple, less clutter under the hood, slightly more power, most of the modern functions) and the later models of '73 to '77 (nicer, less power, more "things" under the hood, some more dress-up interior options). By now, every year has the same chance of being rusty in all the usual spots. A clean, rust-free (or very little rust) Bronco was simply taken better care of. Mine was rusted through within 5 years of it's birth, if that tells you anything.

Good luck. Can't wait to hear the results.
And welcome to classicbroncos.com too. Even if you're not yet an owner, you're here and part of the group at least.

Paul

OP
OP
C

Coloradobronco7

Hey guys, no new news yet. I ll be going up this weekend to look it over. The guy gave me the vin so I have some more info on it.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Hey guys, no new news yet. I ll be going up this weekend to look it over. The guy gave me the vin so I have some more info on it.

Post up part of the VIN if you want more info........there was another member here who's bronco was build within days of mine, and was sitting in Denver at the same time for sale even. I like my 71'. :)

OP
OP
C

Coloradobronco7

Doh! I forgot to post that. The vin is U15GLK68068, not sure about the axle yet if it's the heavy one or not

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Doh! I forgot to post that. The vin is U15GLK68068, not sure about the axle yet if it's the heavy one or not

We're pretty close! Both December of 1970 builds. Mine's just a little older than yours, I've got the 44, you should too. http://broncohio.com/tech/ebvins.html

photobucket-42938-1346271846955.jpg

BobbyA

If you are in Colorado then you might looking at Coloradoclassicbroncos.com. There are a bunch of us here and I am sure someone wouldn't mind going with you. Might cost you some lunch but it might be a good thing to have someone go with you that knows what to look for.

Mine is a 71. I guess as far as features it depends on what you want to do to it. I got lucky and had the dana44, and that was about the only "upgrade". luckily everything else is out there and especially if you get into a good club you can find some good deals. We have an extensive of array of parts hoarders in the front range so I am sure anything you need can be found.

OP
OP
C

Coloradobronco7

Well from what the guy says its a Shelby. Not sure what it is and will be interested to see it on Saturday. Works been busy so I ll try to keep you all updated. Thanks for all the help

OP
OP
C

Coloradobronco7

Well it was a close call today, got a call that it sold. Guy called back and said it didnt, so I'm still on for this weekend. I ll keep everyone posted and see if it's a good deal.

OP
OP
C

Coloradobronco7

Yeah I never put to much stalk into anything until I can see for myself. However I have gotten another run around. Guess he is now holding it for a potential buyer in Michigan who is arranging to have it shipped. So I guess it's not in the cards for me this time, I just don't have the time to drive up until the weekends.

I ll keep my eyes open, guess I ll just have to wait some more

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
CL ad says he put it up for sale on CL 22 hours ago............your first post was on the 19th......?????????