• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What to use on Edelbrock E Street Heads

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
I’m upgrading the heads on my 1970 302 and got a set of E Street Heads for it. I’ll also be installing an Edelbrock Performer intake and Performer Plus camshaft. I’m looking for budget friendly rocker arms and hardened pushrods. Edelbrock says you can use stock rocker arms but I think the rocker arms used on the early 302s can’t be used because they’re a rail type rocker. If any of you guys have any experience or suggestions on this I’d appreciate any help you can give me.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
roller tip type rockers works for me. recently installed them on 5023 heads

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Edelbrock says you can use stock rocker arms but I think the rocker arms used on the early 302s can’t be used because they’re a rail type rocker.

No experience with mine yet, but I think I bought Comp roller-tip Magnum rockers.
The stock originals are not rail type (edit: sorry, they ARE rail type. I was thinking "shaft" type. Oopsie), but are "pedestal type" that were non-adjustable. However I would think that Edelbrock was referring to stock adjustable types?
I'll have to look into that, but I think you're right that you can't use stock Bronco rockers. Just stock ones from another engine.

Since you have to buy them anyway it sounds like, almost anything should work.
Just be aware too of valve cover height. Since it's a Bronco, with little clearance under the hood, too-tall rockers need too-tall covers sometimes, and those interfere with power brake boosters and Ford EFI uppers.

Just more to think about.
Let us know which way you go on the rockers. I should know more about these so I can help better, but I have not even messed with mine yet other than to take them out of the box and go "oooh" and "ahhh" a lot.%)

Paul

Last edited:

TNcoupe

Think I have Crane 1.6 double rollers on my E Street heads in my 55 T Bird

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Comp makes the Magnum Roller Tip and Extreme Energy Full Roller that fit under stock height valve covers and come in a 1.6:1 Ratio.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
No experience with mine yet, but I think I bought Comp roller-tip Magnum rockers.
The stock originals are not rail type, but are "pedestal type" that were non-adjustable. However I would think that Edelbrock was referring to stock adjustable types?
I'll have to look into that, but I think you're right that you can't use stock Bronco rockers. Just stock ones from another engine.

Since you have to buy them anyway it sounds like, almost anything should work.
Just be aware too of valve cover height. Since it's a Bronco, with little clearance under the hood, too-tall rockers need too-tall covers sometimes, and those interfere with power brake boosters and Ford EFI uppers.

Just more to think about.
Let us know which way you go on the rockers. I should know more about these so I can help better, but I have not even messed with mine yet other than to take them out of the box and go "oooh" and "ahhh" a lot.%)

Paul

I can testify to the “tall rocker arms need tall valve covers” statement. There was much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth when they started connecting brakes and carb linkage. Took a die grinder and much work to get the vacuum boost installed.
Just like the saying goes, caveat emptor, or let the buyer beware.
I’m thinking I am building more than I thought I was. Lol
Randy

OP
OP

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen, I really appreciate it. I’ve been looking at the Comp Cams rockers. Sounds like based on what you guys are saying I’ve been looking at the right stuff. As far as valve covers go. I have Ansen valve covers that will clear roller rockers and everything fits with the hydro boost so I’m in good shape there. Paul the “rail” rockers I’m referring to have a little rail on either side of the rocker tip instead of just being smooth. Thanks again for the help.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Scorpion makes pedestal and stud mount roller tip rockers, depending on what you need. I haven't run a set on a 302 but have a pedestal mount set on my 460 that clears the factory valve covers.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen, I really appreciate it. I’ve been looking at the Comp Cams rockers. Sounds like based on what you guys are saying I’ve been looking at the right stuff. As far as valve covers go. I have Ansen valve covers that will clear roller rockers and everything fits with the hydro boost so I’m in good shape there. Paul the “rail” rockers I’m referring to have a little rail on either side of the rocker tip instead of just being smooth. Thanks again for the help.

If your running guide plates /screw in studs which i assume yes .then dont run rail style rocker arms get non rail,,I've ran the comp magnum roller tip {rail style } for 20 plus years no issues but now going differnt direction ...Full rollers then scorpion know of people with good results no complaints,,comp's ultra gold series same little complaints,more $$,,preferred Harland sharps cost close to the comp's proven track record..

I'd consider your compression ratio with flat top piston and head combustion chamber size and then cam choice may consider a custom grind such as contact flowtechinduction ..

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I've been considering a 347 build so for the heck of it I looked into these heads and rockers today. It appears an outfit called PRW has self-aligning roller rockers that wouldn't require guide plates or hardened pushrods, in aluminum or stainless:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pqx-0330202/make/ford

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pqx-0230202/make/ford

Comp's self-aligning version: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1634-16

I don't have any experience with any of these though.

Edit: nevermind, looks like the E-street heads come with guide plates already installed.