• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What tranny

datawireguy

Loc.
sacramento
Hey what tranny is every one using. I have a stock 3 speed but was thinking of putting in a c4. I hace a good donner that is free to me. What do you think?

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I like my C4. The 1st gear is kinda high though. If it was all the same I'd get a 4 speed with granny low & overdrive.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D That is a hard ? to go with. I like the 4speed top loader wide ratio and when I get to old to shift good I will put in the beefed up C4 with shift kit. I have the trans just wateing. Its what do you want auto works best in the sand. Good luck with your choice. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

hackyrat

If the C4 is free I would probably go with that. You will enjoy it much more than the 3 speed. Of course there are other costs involved but "Free is a very good price" to get started with.

shifter

Loc.
Agua Dulce, CA
Depends what you do with your bronco, if it is mostly off road or close to home driving you will be fine with a 3 speed ( auto or manual ) but if you run much on the highway you may be wishing for an overdrive tranny. I have a c4 and cannot decide what gears to run with 35 tires, if I install the correct gears ( 4.56 ) it will be screaming on the highway. If I had a pile of money I would scrap the auto and go with one of the 5 speed sticks and maybe even go 4.88 gears.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
KJHill said:
I like my C4. The 1st gear is kinda high though. If it was all the same I'd get a 4 speed with granny low & overdrive.
Are you taking the torque convertor into consideration? It is good for about 2:1 which puts the C4 at about 5:1 in low gear when crawling.

donks&broncs

Loc.
The Fort,CO
I have the C4 right now. I have a prejudice against autos and like shifting so I will be swapping out for the ZF 5 speed and will likely go with a 351w and an np 205 while I'm at it. I am already starting to collect parts but this will be all part of a body off resto that I will likely start next spring.

myscott22

Loc.
Klamath Falls, OR.
I got a great buy on a NV 4500 out of texas on e-bay. Don't have it in yet but can't wait. The company that sells them has them listed as Chrysler transmissions. I was always doing a search for Dodge NV 4500 5 speed.
Go figure?

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
i have had to rebuilb my C4 3 times now and i also drive mine on the street with 4.56 gears, so me and C4's arent really getting along at the moment. a friend of mine has a Bronco with an NV4500 and it rocks! this summer i am going to go with the NV4500, its pricey, but its well worth the money in the long run..