• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What type of sealant goes on the water pump gasket?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
like ther oil pan gasket you rteally dont need to use sealant but can if you want to. I usually only use sealant if the gasket surfaces are scrachted or pitted.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
Gaskets are sealant.. Like mentiond above, a skim coat on a pitted surface or a dab on a "T" joint where three peices meet is all that is needed.. I'm a huge fan of Motorcraft diesel silicone, available at the Ford dealer in a calking gun tube.. Use sparringly, it has an epoxy like property.. I cant help but laugh when I see thermostats glued on with two tubes of orange or blue silicone.. Totally un necessary, ugly and counter productive. If it squeezes out the outside, it does the same on the inside, clogging passages and even oil pump screens when used on the pan..

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Permatex #2 to hold gasket in place and to help seal the water ports.