• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What type wood is this?

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Bronco related...yes

The wood is the slats on the roof rack that I was given. You can see the before and after being sanded down. I know it is not pine. it is an old Con-Ferr rack.

I am thinking to put a nice stain on it and then layer it up with some polyurethane, to protect it.

brian

Attachments

• woodDifference.jpg
    woodDifference.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 140

Potshot

Bronco related...yes

The wood is the slats on the roof rack that I was given. You can see the before and after being sanded down. I know it is not pine. it is an old Con-Ferr rack.

I am thinking to put a nice stain on it and then layer it up with some polyurethane, to protect it.

brian

A little light to be teak, ash maybe?

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
bax - I was hoping you would see this. What would be a nice color stain to put on ??? Or just poly the natural color? Is poly best thing to use?

Hogback

I think its probably cypress or redwood, something that is resistant to rot. Ash would rot way too fast.

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
The varnish you want to use is Polyurethane Spar Varnish. Home Depot has it. It is designed for outdoor use. Even then you will probably have to refinish every two years or so in sunny FL. Make sure you refinish it before it starts flaking.

tim70

Loc.
SF Bay, CA
You may also want to consider using a marine varnish. I can't remember if the spar varnish is a marine varninsh, but using a marine rated varnish will last longer. Check a boating supply store.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm going to go along with maybe Ash ...running buddy make water well sucker rods their made out of ash ..the part that stays in the water is ok the one rod that lifts in and out of water is the one to rot......But I have a very large pile of his scrap out here to be burned the stuff that has set in the weather is the same color gray as that of course most wood is but the other stick looks like it could be ash also ...I'd love to find a spot to sell his scrap ...it's about 18 foot long 1 1/8 thick and most of the pieces are tapered off the sides of the boards 1 inch to about paper thin in the 18 foot length...

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
I'm going to go along with maybe Ash ...running buddy make water well sucker rods their made out of ash ..the part that stays in the water is ok the one rod that lifts in and out of water is the one to rot......But I have a very large pile of his scrap out here to be burned the stuff that has set in the weather is the same color gray as that of course most wood is but the other stick looks like it could be ash also ...I'd love to find a spot to sell his scrap ...it's about 18 foot long 1 1/8 thick and most of the pieces are tapered off the sides of the boards 1 inch to about paper thin in the 18 foot length...

What did it come out of...a skating rink or somthing?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ash is the wood of choice for many of these type of racks. Yes ash rots however if you choose tight grain slow growth ash (old Trees)this wood is more dense than the younger trees that we are seeing coming to market. Also look at the weathered strip the soft/open grain is weathered away this gives me an idea of the grain pattern. Straight and tight, Ash when flat sawed has a lot of open grain and figure however when you look at the side of this same board the grain will be very tight and straight. back to the picture,If you look at the yellow strip down near the bottom and zoom in on it you can make out the grain pattern, tight and straight= strips cut off a flat sawn piece of Ash I could go on but I won't. Finish, well if its in the sun in Fla nothing is going to work really good. Problem is with all of the varnish and pollys the sun will eat them and when it comes time to refinish there will be places where the finish has pealed or cracked away from the wood. Stripping and refinishing sucks. another option that works well is an oil finish. This finish sinks into the wood and protects it from water however the sun dryes it out sooner than the pollys so it requires more matinance to protect it. the oil is easy to put on and no stripping is required, you just have to do it more often. If your the kind of guy that will keep up with it Oil is the better way to go, otherwise the best quality marine varnish will last the longest in the sun. Ash fact- Ash was used in most of the cars when they were made out of wood. It was used for it's strenght and bending properties, it was also cheap and there was a lot of it.

Bax

bigulcer1

Loc.
Grand Junction
Por 15 makes a great wood product. If you use a spar varnish or a polurethane you will have alot of manitance, the UV's will kill the finish. Check out the Por-15 Pelucid. A bit pricecy but mantinance free.

Thats All Folks My .02