• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whats a 351 F-4TE Roller Block Worth?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ive been toying with the idea of 351-408 build, probably more like a dream but I found a F-4TE block that hasnt been bored. The guy wants $500, sounds too high.

Whats it worth and what should I look for before buying?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
some will say that is too high. lot of variables of buying a block. is it a short block, long block or just bare?

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
sounds high to me. I'd think more like half of that but that just a guess...
be sure to check for cracks around the cam bearings. google 351 roller crack and you should get some hits for interesting reading.
Good luck!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Unless there is something besides all the parts taken off of it I will say that is too much, even by California standards. If the main bearing caps are missing, it is a boat anchor.

It's better to start with a complete engine, even if you don't use a lot of it. You have reference points for little things. And time and money spent chasing down little things like a cam thrust plate. Yes, they can be found. But you have to find one, buy it, wait for it. And if you had a whole engine to start with you would know that the thrust plate you have is going to work just fine. That's just one part. There will be a whole box of those little parts you will want as you put the engine back together.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I just saw one in the local wrecking yard 2 days ago, ripe for picking.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unless he has about $400 in machinist receipts showing work done to ensure it's a good block, pass.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all. I think I will pass and keep looking.

hucklburry rev2

The upullit here has 1/2 off this weekend, so if one of the trucks has a roller 351 in it, you could get the long block with accessories for like $125 out the door core included.

That goes for explorer engines as well.

A complete long block roller 351 seems to get $450 around here (Missouri), some times its running in the truck so you can hear it. They do move quick, so there is some demand.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had one pulled and took the complete motor - everything from intake to pan and included front dress for $300.00

77BRONKOTN

Check for the cam bearing area for cracks on #2,#4. Notorious for this. Take out the bearing and inspect.

I wouldn't pay a dime until it checks out.

Link lifters are a def option for an older block.

You can get a Dart block if you have money to burn.