• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

whats better 12 pt or 6 pt sockets?

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Hardly see them much anymore, but a 12 pt will also work on the square head bolts & nuts.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
6 point for the rust reason already stated. If you could only afford one type, go six point.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I think winning the lottery while being struck by lightning in a plane crash is more likely than that, but anything can happen. Snap-On could shut down, too. You can't plan for the unexpected.

From an article when they first merged:
"The negative view is that it's akin to tying two drunks together and hoping that they'll be able to walk a straight line"
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sears-blue-light-special-kmart/

66BlueGoose

Contributor
A lot depends on the quality of the socket. Will not use a cheap 12 point but run my 12 point Snap-On ones all day long (they have tighter tolerances). For tough bolts, I use the 6 point.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I use 12 pt. in hand sockets and 6 pt in impact sockets. Other than spark-plugs rarely have I ever needed a 6 pt with thin walls, but when that time comes, and I fully expect that it will, I'll buy one and then it lives for eternity with that vehicle and not in the general tool box. If it a really big fastener I'm not opposed to turning down the OD of an HF 6 pt impact socket. As it happens my 1-1/8" HF impact over the bottom .75" or so is about .09" smaller OD than it started life as.