• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's in your road side repair kit?

brianca

What tools and parts do you keep in the truck just in case you have to do a road side repair at some point?

My '77 is just now in good enough shape that I'm going to start driving it as my primary vehicle, so I need to put together a road kit for it.

brianca.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Hmmm...from memory:

Full set of tools, including BFH
Front hub nut socket
Fluids (all) & axle grease
Front axle shafts (both sides)
U-joints for everything
Fan belts
Front locking hubs
Spare rod ends (heims) for steering
Various nuts, bolts, c-clips, etc.
Hi-lift jack
Bottle jack
Tow strap
Tie-down straps
Bungee cords
Tie wraps (various sizes)
Full size spare
On-board air (PowerTank)

I'm sure there's more in my large tool/spares box...

Caveat: I don't do all that much street driving, but do lots of difficult rock crawling, hence the lengthy list. :p

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Most of the above plus...

Brake wash
Impact with sockets
Volt meter
Extra wire
Service manual (chiltons) in case I have to work on someone elses stock rig
roll of paper towels
hand cleaner
vice grips

And some other stuff that I can't remember right now.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I carry one of everything I have used or replaced in the last 10 years. I rarely use it on my truck but many have used my spares and greasy hands to keep going. If my truck isnt ready it doesnt leave the driveway.

A better list would be what have you ever replaced on the road/trail, that would be more help-ful.

Landshark

Loc.
California
GJBroncoMan said:
So do I, but most of the places I wheel out here have no cell service... %)

I too carry a cell phone, cb, cooler stocked at all times and most important a AAA card.
Please note, he said roadside not trailside :)

77pony

Loc.
Utah
In addition to all the usual tools, duct tape, bailing wire, fluids, hoses, belts, jacks, chains, strap, etc, I also carry a spare fuel pump, coil, ballast resistor, plug wires (a couple of mine are awfully close to the headers), u-joints. Basically all the things that have left me stranded at some point or another, or otherwise aggravated me. I'm like a parts warehouse on wheels, no room for a back seat. Of course, those probably aren't the things I'll need next time. Too bad I don't have room for spare hubs, axles, tranny. I've been thinking that some of that stuff you pour into the radiator to seal leaks might come in handy sometime. -al

77pony

Loc.
Utah
Thought of some more things:

Hip boots could come in handy. And sleeping bag, warm clothes and some grub if you go out alone. I used to have some MRE's in there. -al

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
Cell phone and keys to the "tool box" ..........

I'm such a funny bastard ;D ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• mine01s.jpg
    mine01s.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 97

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
2badrotties said:
Well then , I would add blanket and lunch to your list ;D .

All of the above and a cute cuddly female type person.
Strictly for personable, conversational company of course. (right)

TOFIC

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm glad to know broncobowsher is out here and fully equiped. I like the list as I am building my "tool and parts box" also.

It's a cheap thing to add and I already had to drive from four peaks area to Apache Junction for one:

Starter solenoid. If you have a warn winch it has 4 just like the ford if you get into a pinch. They are so small and so cheap you should have one or two.

Fuses and more fuses.

Might also add siphon hose too or enough fuel or heater hose to do it with. Punch a hole in your big rear tank that you were counting on you may be able to save some.

Keep a can koozie on the t-case shifter at all times.

I have found great use in a 5 gallon bucket too.

FordTruckGuyFX4

Loc.
East TN
It's about time to get the rig on the road and I'm going to be carrying two small-mid sized diamond plate toolboxes over the rear wheel wells in my truck(when I can actually afford a bronco next I may hafta be more compact) with the following:

-duct tape
-electric tape
fully equipped toolbox w/ about everything but an impact and torque wrench
-spare fuel pump, starter, starter solenoid, alternator, u-joints, 10ft of fuel line hose, engine oil, gear oil
-carb cleaner
-WD-40
-fix-a-flat
-hopefully a small onboard compressor
-towropes/straps
-wratchet tiedowns
-chain
-tarp(for towing and maybe other uses)
-fire extinquisher
-maglight and several misc. flashlights w/ spare batteries
-bumper jack
-cellphone
-gps unit
and a few other little odds n ends but thats the basis.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Have you ever been broke down with a cute cuddly female type person? If you had you'd never list them as spares in case of an emergency. They turn down right posessed at makeing a bad situation worse and as bad as it can get. I'm cold, I'm hungry, I have to go pee, What do you mean you dont have toilet paper? When are we going to get going? it just goes on and on. They never say I'm lonely stud want to get lucky and make this bad day much better??? If you want companionship when things go sour get a dog, at least they only bitch about food.