• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

whats my axles worth?

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
i got a big bearing 9 inch with a detroit locker 4:11 gears 28 spline with a brand new explorer 8.8 disk brake conversion on it.
my front end is a low pinion dana 44 with a powerlock 4:11 gears and all brand new disk brakes on it 28 spline also.
what do you think i should post them up on craigslist for i was thinkin 1500?

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
i got a big bearing 9 inch with a detroit locker 4:11 gears 28 spline with a brand new explorer 8.8 disk brake conversion on it.
my front end is a low pinion dana 44 with a powerlock 4:11 gears and all brand new disk brakes on it 28 spline also.
what do you think i should post them up on craigslist for i was thinkin 1500?

Sounds fair to me. And the buyer would be a getting a decent deal.

The front would be a 30 spline.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a good price to start off at. Its all market driven so hopefully your market is good and they will sell for that price otherwise you'll be listing them for awhile.

crab

Bronco Guru
Should sell quick and would be gone if the 9" was a 31sp. Good luck with the 60's!

muskrat

Bronco Guru

The front would be a 30 spline.[/QUOT

DonaldDouchebag, I used to have an old Sears Allstate scooter also. Red and white, 3 speed. We used to beat the hell out of it on the cow pastures. Thing just kept on running.

I let her sit for far too long then ended up putting it on the curb for recycling day when all the pickers come through. I should have held on to it.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Too bad the guy that ordered the 28 spline Detroit didn't upgrade to 31 at that time.
I have sold 2 rear Bronco axles to hot rod guys. The width of the housing is ideal for a lot of rod projects. A lot of them don't care about 28 or 31.

I would suggest you advertise and sell the axels seperate. You'll get more money from them that way. I would start at $1000 for the front if you only have stock axels in the housing. If you had Chromolly you could get more.
Hot rod guys should be willing to give $700 for the rear with the disc brakes.

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
it is a detroit you let off the gas it unlocks u hit the gas its locked. my dad has had the locker for about 5 years he went to dana 60's so he gave me the locker and now im going to dana 60's just because i got a good deal and Original66 i have to see if i can find pics of them on the computer. they are nice painted black everything has been redone on them balljoints and everything.

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
origianl66 if ur talking about the front end it is a true trac i think dont know for sure. its not welded or does not have a detroit in it. but it is locked both tires spin together

swampu

Loc.
Biloxi
I just sold my old stuff for 1500 bucks. 5.13 gears, locker in the rear (detroit), spool for the front never installed. new hubs and such. Put it on craigs list and sit on it. Don't jump on the first guy that offers a grand. You will get your price because someone is gonna need them. I would ask 2k and sit on it if you can.

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
ya thats what i was originally asking fo them.
i have a question for u.
i bout a 79 dana 60 front axle it measures out to 69 inches wide
the rear axle that came with it is not the original one it is 63 inches wide.
what is the rear axle out of and why is it so much shorter?
and what do u think about 2.5'' wheel spacers or 3''? i dont know anything about how strong they are

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru

The front would be a 30 spline.[/QUOT

DonaldDouchebag, I used to have an old Sears Allstate scooter also. Red and white, 3 speed. We used to beat the hell out of it on the cow pastures. Thing just kept on running.

I let her sit for far too long then ended up putting it on the curb for recycling day when all the pickers come through. I should have held on to it.

Yep, they're almost always red and white. Glad to hear you enjoyed yours!

I have three that are currently in various piles of parts. :(

swampu

Loc.
Biloxi
ya thats what i was originally asking fo them.
i have a question for u.
i bout a 79 dana 60 front axle it measures out to 69 inches wide
the rear axle that came with it is not the original one it is 63 inches wide.
what is the rear axle out of and why is it so much shorter?
and what do u think about 2.5'' wheel spacers or 3''? i dont know anything about how strong they are
Believe it or not someone told me the front axle is always wider than the rear. It's helps with the turning geometry. Why so much longer I don't know. Maybe the po swapped out the dana 44 front for a dana 60 of a newer year model. The spacers if you buy from a reputable fabricator are fine. I've got them on F350 on the rear duels because of larger tires. I haul 5-10 ton trailers all the time, flatbed and dump trailers. Make SURE you get a high pinion front 60. If you don't need it now you will need it sooner or later.

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
i already bought a dana 60 high pinion its a 79 snofighter axle
and ya but the sterling 10.25 is away wider than my dana 60 rear that i have i just dont want to go through and put lockers and stuff in it i need to save money for my air locker and stuff for the front axle

swampu

Loc.
Biloxi
geez tell me about it. I just got done tearing out all my suspension and axles and replacing with a cage lift which gives me about 9" in the front with 5.5 leafs and a 2" block in the rear, high line drive shafts front and rear ($1200) and some used 44's hp front and 60 rear bone stock. No lockers and no gears. Luckily the front has disks so rear disks will be next weekends project. Lockers are in the distant future. Gotta wheel a little, been about a 3 year dryspell. I'm going to eyeball a doubler kit or maybe one somebody has allready built. Sounds like your going to have a pretty bullet proof rig when your done.

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
it kinda sucks because it just got out of a 6 year restoration on the whole rig and its pretty stout how it is now but i wanna go play in the snow and stuff but everyone else has full width and i have the stock stuff
i gotta order my highsteer kit and my track bar bracket so i can get the front axle in.
then i got long arms on my front end with bilistic joints on the ends and i gotta cut my perches off the rearend and move them in.
im going to be running 39.5 iroks on it and im going to try and keep my 5.5 inch lift and keep the low center of gravity but i will probably end up having to get a bigger lift! and longer drivelines its NEVER ENDING!!!