• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the best tilt column

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I also went with an Ididt tilt column and couldn't be happier. I got the Feroce 15" wood wheel as well from JBG. Mated perfectly to my custom steering shaft from WH.

The tilt column makes is to much easier for me to get into and out of the truck. The old (stock) column and wheel was a PIA to enter/exit.

And I LOVE the wood wheel. :cool:

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
I have been using a Summit Brand tilt column for about a year and it hasn't let me down. I bought it after someone posted on here they had good luck with one. It was about half the price of an Ididit Column. It is also set up with a GM style plug in for the wiring harness. Worked great with my American Autowire Wiring Harness.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Not sure about the Summit but the Ididit column comes in a paint able model unless I'm full of brown stuff . .. I've put in 3 of the 78/79 Bronco & ford Trucks. .. Afterwards I'M NOT A big fan of them.. My 1st 2 were cheap... But every time I'VE GOT into my Bronco & pulled on the steering wheel I break my TILT WHEEL . I'm READY FOR AN IDIDIT Column .

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I have the Ididit direct fit column from WH.
Had it for 3 years, so far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 283

navalbronco66

I have the Ididit direct fit column from WH.
Had it for 3 years, so far so good.

Your interior looks so sexy, Nice..reminds me of a yacht interior, just need the girls in bikini. Anyways what seats are you using and what transmission shifter are you using?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Summit does have really inexpensive tilt columns.
But you have to measure carefully to get the right one. Other than having to measure for it I have heard nothing but good about them.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Summit does have really inexpensive tilt columns.
But you have to measure carefully to get the right one. Other than having to measure for it I have heard nothing but good about them.

Basically it is the same cheap Chinese column that I bought off of eBay, I went with the shortest column I could find 28 inches IIRC and then got the Borgeson collapsible shaft So I could have a collapsible set up. I was in for less than $300 for the column, shaft and two couplings. Instillation was as simple as cutting the shaft on one side and fitting it all together. I am really happy with it.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Your interior looks so sexy, Nice..reminds me of a yacht interior, just need the girls in bikini. Anyways what seats are you using and what transmission shifter are you using?

Thanks!
The seats are from Tom's Bronco Parts and the shifter is a Winters.
I'm still working on the girls in bikinis.;)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have a summit tilt column and will be going to a Flaming River or Ididit as soon as funds allow. I tried to save some dollars and all it did was cost me and extra $300.00, so I'll have $900 in a $600 column. dumb on my part%)

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The pre-'92 stock Ford tilt column is among the WORST. The '92-up column is vastly superior, but not particularly suited to an eB since it requires a specific dash structure to support it, which eBs don't have.

SeanT4x4

I also have a summit column, and in powder coated black. It has worked perfectly for me so I'm curious what Yellers problem with it is. As said has the GM style plug that all the aftermarkets come with. I spoke with summit before i bought mine and they said it is produced by one of the name brand manufacturers they sell, but weren't allowed to say which. They only sell Ididit, Flaming River and Boregeson. Best thing is I have auto cancelling turn signals now!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I also have a summit column, and in powder coated black. It has worked perfectly for me so I'm curious what Yellers problem with it is. As said has the GM style plug that all the aftermarkets come with. I spoke with summit before i bought mine and they said it is produced by one of the name brand manufacturers they sell, but weren't allowed to say which. They only sell Ididit, Flaming River and Boregeson. Best thing is I have auto cancelling turn signals now!

I've been running it a year, the rod for the ignition switch is too long, no more adjustment, key is difficult to remove, the steering wheel wobbles terrible, the tilt moves up and down too easy without pulling the lever and the self canceling turn signals maybe will and maybe won't...... basically over all quality is poor. I have a friend that has the same column less the ignition and he is having the exact same issues. I have a custom Flaming River in my wish list with Duff's.

BROwN COw

I used the Idiot brand steering column and choose to get the tilt version, seems to work well and was a breeze to install.

^ That's funny. I always read that as idiot instead of Ididit, too!