• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

whats the biggest boat you have ever towed?

trouble71

one of my friends made a remark yesterday. he said that it's not going to be a good truck to tow my boat on. it's 23 foot yamaha which is under 3k lb. is he right or he is just "haitin" on my eb.

Muley270

Loc.
Northern CA
I towed a 20' Ski Barge with an Inboad Jet with my 77' EB.

The Bronco handled the towing fine.....the drum brakes where a little dicey at times though! :eek:

joshua

Contributor
i have a 22' gm 350 cuddy that i have pulled with mine but not far and like using my fullsize much better.

OP
OP
T

trouble71

I towed a 20' Ski Barge with an Inboad Jet with my 77' EB.

The Bronco handled the towing fine.....the drum brakes where a little dicey at times though! :eek:

the rear is fine being a drum right? my front is converted to disk, but i figured rear makes no difference. am i wrong?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
My suggestion would be to have disk brakes on front. (Rear doesn't make a huge difference) Hydroboost brakes would be a plus. Trailer brakes are probably a must. Will any of these make it a good tow rig? That's an emphatic NO. The wheelbase on the EB is the biggest downfall to using it as a tow rig. Because of how short the wheelbase is it doesn't take as much for the item being towed to jerk it around and get it into a bad spot. Therefore a heavier and longer rig will make a better tow rig. That said it is not impossible to set up an EB to tow with. I've used mine to tow big Longbed extended cab F250's and my 97 Explorer (both heavier than my EB once the trailer is figured in). I run trailer brakes and normally will use dual cam sway bars with that much weight. The trailer brakes are very important since they can be used to snap the trailer straight if it starts to get out of hand. The dual cam sway bars lock it into a straight line and distribute the weight to keep the EB itself from causing trouble. Then as long as the weight is distributed right then it can be used to tow with but you will need to stay attentive at all times because it can still get out of hand fast if your not careful. I also would not recommend that anyone use an EB to tow a heavy load with that doesn't already have plenty of towing experience. So I would have to agree with your friend that it is not a "good" truck to tow with but it is not impossible to use it as such either.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Haveing been there a bronco will have NO problem pulling it but stoping is something else also control in the sharp corners it can just push you sideways. I would suggest a full size P/U truck good luck and have fun.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

knack

Contributor
I towed my friend's 19' Queen Marie I/O around a few times - it was a heavy boat. I was never very comfortable doing it, and would recommend finding something heavier to handle towing chores.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Two man inflatable, simple man....

GrantMurray

Loc.
Austin, Texas
As a kid my dad tried to pull our 19' Sea Ray with a single axle trailer. About 50mph it wanted to whip the Bronco all over the road, dad reeled it in, left the boat on the side of the road and came back with our suburban. If the trailer had been tandem axle, it probably would have been more manageable. Never pulled anything other than a mower or jet ski since then.

OP
OP
T

trouble71

i just don't want to brake and have my front tires in the air. i know that eb will tow it. but my question was; if it will be compfortable towing it and braking with a load. and after talking to all of you i now understand that the answer is no.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
used to tow with it all the time. My old 14ft boat towed great. Hardly even noticed it back there. My new 18ft skeeter is a whole different story. I got into some of the undulations on the freeway caused by the trucks and it started hopping. My back wheels were about off the ground. Couldn't do anything about it. Tried speeding up and slowing down, neither worked. I bought a Youkon and it tows great.

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
Rookie here. Just getting into this EB business but have towed trailers of all sizes for years.

SAFE towing is a function of many variables including the tow vehicle, trailer and road features. Towing on flat plains may be far more forgiving than in the mountains where you can get into trouble fast. I usually always defer to factory engineered vehicle and hitch capacity.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you are looking at 35 MPH top, something that can manuver the boat ramp with ease. They are GREAT!

If you are looking to tow at freeway speeds, they suck. Most anything we do to them to make them better offroad makes them even worse as a tow vehicle.

Simple example. Trailer wants to kick the back of the truck sideways 2 inches. In a short wheelbase bronco 2" is a noticable yaw angle that will require noticable steering input to keep in a straight line. Put that same input into a 127" wheelbase truk and you won't even notice it and the truck will still be pointing straight down the road.

Power never seems to be a problem.

Brakes, I discovered the limits of drums and 33" tires with my 16 foot boat on the way to work one day. Lets just say it was a good thing t wasn't lifted yet as I was pressing the limit handling as I made the turn into work. When the drums slow you from 60 to 20 then fade into nothing, that last 20 takes some downshifting and a nice long roll up to the front gate.

But at the lake, the Bronco is great on the boat ramp. narrow enough to keep the trailer in sights. Short enough to aim the trailer into spots that others don't even try (that good parking spot by the tree that takes a tight turn to make).

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I find it pretty hard to believe a 23 foot boat is 3000 pounds. %) My buddies 21ft Century is 5000 lbs without the trailer. I wouldn't tow something that long with an EB.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I towed a 16' Tahiti ski boat for years with no problems until braking on long downhill runs (stock drum brakes).