• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's your favorite junkyard upgrade?

scotch

Loc.
Green River, Wyoming
I have a long cold winter ahead of me and no garage. I can't start any major modifications. I am headed to the boneyard to find some small projects to keep me busy. I'll be on the lookout for:
rearview mirrors
side mirrors
headlight relays
seatbelts
radio antennas
auxillary heaters
rear seats

If anyone could add to my list or give me some specifics on one of the above mods, I would appreciate it.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I second the tilt steering column.
Because of my Golf seats I needed a tilt column

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Rear view mirror, look in convertibles for one with built in dome/map lights. Or, I have a self dimming from an '89 park ave. the same as what I found on a '93 Bravado

Side mirrors, depends on taste. I like Ranger/BroncoII folding mirrors. Currently I am running power heated mirrors off a Pathfinder

As for the other stuff on your shopping list I don't have any preferences....

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Windshield washer tank, overflow tank, lenses, reflectors (found on some early ford vans), maybe wheels, dash knobs, I've seen a few roll bars, pusher fans from mid 80's Nissans (two will fit in the core support opening), aux heater from big broncos that came with that option.

John

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
How about side rear seatbelt retractors. These came from the back seat of a 69 or 70 mercury colony park wagon but i have seen them in many 4-door Fords from 68-71.

Attachments

• brseatbeltretractors .jpg
    brseatbeltretractors .jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 533

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I love junkyards

Look in 3.8L Tauruses for a bolt-in 130 amp 3G alternator. (Your stock V-belt pulley will fit.)

Electric radiator/oil cooler/PS cooler fans-they're all over the place in a junkyard.

Radiator overflow tanks/bottles.

Underhood light (w/retractable cord) from 80's F150's.

Compass/temp/map light rearview mirror from nearly any high-end Caddy/Che*y/GMC/whatever.

Visors.

Center consoles (built-in cup holders, lighter sockets, coin holders, CD slots, etc.)

Leather-wrapped steering wheel.

351W.

Serpentine setup from a 5.0

EFI setup from a 5.0

Disk brakes (Che*y or F150/BigBronco)

Rear disks from a Lincoln w/a 9".

Section of bed floor from a mid-80's to mid-90's F150 (it'll match the ribbing pattern of an early Bronco perfectly) to repair your rusted bed floor.

Last edited:

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I am the one of the kings of junkyard upgrades.

Headrests out of a 60's mercury
overflow bottle from a RX-7
Washer fluid reservoir from a 60's corvair
bikini top strap brackets were door latch catches from a 80's toyota van
Ford (motorola) CB from a 82 town car
lenses from a 70's econoline van
Armrests from a 80's econoline van
wiper delay switch from a 79 F-150
EFI from a 88 Cougar
e brake from a 85 Mustang
Radio antenna from a ford fiesta
seat belts from a Saab
window crank knobs from a galaxy 500. Get the shorter wing window handles.
Air box from a 95 F-150
hood scoop from a 82 mustang GT
rearview mirror from a 71 F-150
tranny cooler from a old wagoneer
Ps Cooler from a newer cherokee

I think that is about it. I'm not counting the things I've pulled then sold on Ebay and the parts I've pulled from other EB's.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Duraspark swap 74-up cars and trucks with 302 get it all wires ect.
Front Disc brake's ch@vy or ford
light lenses and bezels older ford vans
Saginaw power steering pump and brackets various ford cars and some vans
New Armrests ford vans until late 80's
various nuts bolts ect to replace my old rusted ones
9in third member with L/S locker or lower gears

and any other part that I find that I think may fit junkyards are great

LostInTheSouth

Loc.
Ramstein
I would have to say one of the best upgrades you can make is the 3G alternator I love my bright headlights and not having everything dim when I turn on the flashers is nice to.

andy

Loc.
Charleston
what car do you need to get a 3g alternator and how do you know that it is good? also where is the tech article for conversion i know i have seen one?

Tuck

Must be nice finding all that stuff. The junkyards here in Kackalacky won't let you go out back. You have to tell them what you want, & let them get it for you. What kind of crap is that??? I had to wait two days for them to get mounting hardware for my big bronc's top %) :mad: :mad: