• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's your most failed OE part?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great, so by reading this my 2 pinion l/s carrier isn't going to like my 4 speed and 450tq motor all that well. lol - I've got a tru-trac for the front though...

Good thing I did a Tru-trac in the front and a Detroit locker in the back! Plus put in a brand new 3G.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How about J-Shifter...best upgrade you can do is j-shift to twin stick. Course this would apply for owning multiple vehicles and not multiple replacements on the same vehicle.

Surprised heater core hasn't made the list.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Good thing I did a Tru-trac in the front and a Detroit locker in the back! Plus put in a brand new 3G.

Yea....I still.need to do the 3G.
I'm still running a custom built (locally) 95 amp alternator that I got about 20 years ago.
I keep telling myself that when it goes I'm going to do the 3G. Damn thing just won't die......

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
How about J-Shifter...best upgrade you can do is j-shift to twin stick. Course this would apply for owning multiple vehicles and not multiple replacements on the same vehicle.

Surprised heater core hasn't made the list.

I fought my J shifter for years. As soon as I heard about the twin stick I got one. It has been years. Getting rid of that J shifter and going to the twin stick made me alot more likely to go off roading since I wasn't scared to get that dumb J shifter hung up or stuck in 4 low.

The twin stick is probably one of the best practical improvements you can make, right up there with disc brakes, power steering, etc....

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Stock power steering pumps are junk. They all leak.

I consider window knobs and turn switches parts that will just wear out do to use. But I am sure some of the aftermarket parts quality adds to this.

My 67 likes to eat starters. I think I have gone thru at least 3 in the eight years I have had it. And I have tried low end to higher end starters. They all give up the after a year or two don't know why!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When I first got my Bronco 35+ years ago I had issues with Master cylinders for the front manual drum brakes went through them every 2 years until I went to disc brakes up front. Then my 1974 with its smog pump and odd ball waterpump would go through a water pump every 15,000 miles or so. I use to buy my rebuilt stuff from Ford but it just didn't last like they should. Motorcraft starter solonoids only lasted about 3 years or so when I was daily driving. About 15 years ago I switched to buying Napa's better stuff and these issues went away. I also havent daily drove my Bronco for the last 10 years or so. I've had my Bronco since Christmas Eve 1977 and its been a pretty darn reliable rig. At least the things I have needed to buy have been cheap compaired to these newer cars where I have to spend 50-100 bucks on just a sensor to keep it alive.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Press in Rocker Arm Studs.....why did ford save us money by going cheap on a part that's so important...I do not kno

markperry

Bronco Guru
4 fuel pumps- now carter electric= no issues
3 power steering pumps now saginaw & hydroboost= no issues

Phelman

Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Power Steering pumps= bad I was blowing through starters to the tune of one every six months... till I figured out the manifold collector seal was cracked. Hot exhaust was cooking my starters. New seal= no more problems.

I also agree with twin sticking a J-shift. Had to travel about 45 miles in 4low once- not a lot of fun. ;D

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
One nice large fuel cell from factory would have been nice!

rmiller747

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Highland, Mi
The little fingers on the turn signal cancelling mechanism.

PITA to replace, and some of the repair kits are junk as well.

Very few Broncos still have those that work in either or both directions.

?

This part gets my vote as well. Pain to replace and repair kits are worthless.

Uhh.:mad: