• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whatsyour favorite carb and why

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X14 Rustytruck...

I have run Holley Projection, Carters, Holley's, Edelbrock (w/"off-road" kit), Autolite's, and Q-jets ALL on BRONCOS. Hands down, the little Autolite is good, but bolt a small 4 bbl on and gain 15 mph in second gear before you run out of rpms (done it). Go with a Q-jet and equal the little Autolite off-camber (Q-jets even better at high elevation) but blow it off in every performance category.

Why not get a huge increase in performance AND increase your mileage and throttle response- that's what high velocity intake flows do with small primaries. That's why your throttle response is better and mileage is better.

I've driven over 275,000 miles on Broncos with a combination of all of the above. Q jet is simple, it reduces the # of potential failures due to one part (the carb) compared to a dozen parts with EFI. Heck, I had a fuel pump die on one trip a long time ago and had my wife hold a water jug full of gas on the door (window down) with a temporary fuel line going thru the vent in the hood to the carb---gravity feed. Worked great and a freeway speeds for 15miles.... (my wife's a trooper) :- )

I like the KISS method (keep it simple stupid) whew, long post...