• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel cylinder sizing

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So I was thinking about braking and tuning the front/rear bias. For 4-wheel disks it is often done with caliper piston size. But what about the rear? I recall the wheel cylinders are 1" bore. But I have seen them in other sizes like 15/16, 7/8, and even as small as 3/4". Knowing how ford used the same design but just make a few changes I am wondering if any other wheel cylinders would fit? Anyone with a good parts book that can look at options?

Just a wild thought. And in most cases it will be a better fix than a prop valve.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
That's a great idea, I need to do the same thing to mine, they lock up way to easy. Hopefully someone can come up with some options that will fit.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did that on mine originally at the same time I did the Ford front discs. So far it's worked fantastic.

I did not have a book or reference at the time, so I just went to the parts store and when I found out what the size was for mine (I thought it was smaller than what you were quoting) I went up just 1/16" in size if I remember.
I bet I still have the receipt and could find out. But I'd have to find the receipt first, and that was back in like '82 or '83 I think!
Seems like I went from 7/8 to 15/16, but that's just a guess after all these years.

The key was being able to look inside the potential boxes, to make sure that the orientation and size of the line fitting, as well as the register size were all the same.
But the local Kragen had it on the shelf, so at least at the time it was a common number.

Good luck. Worked awesome for me, but I like my brakes to lock up the rear just before the front. Whereas most recommend the opposite. But either way, they're very close. My rears lock up just a slight pressure increase away from the fronts. (when loaded normally. I never tested with full camping weight)
That way the rear tells me I'm about to lose control of the front. And I don't like the fronts locking up without me knowing it's going to happen.

Paul

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Even with LOTS of weight from spare tire, heavy bumper, hard top, tools, parts,recovery gear my rear brakes lock up way before the fronts.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Even with LOTS of weight from spare tire, heavy bumper, hard top, tools, parts,recovery gear my rear brakes lock up way before the fronts.

Considered a different front pad material? That can make the front more aggressive. Lot more options on front pad materials (not shopping the local parts store) then you will find for rear shoes. I have seen some brakes completely transformed with nothing more than a material swap. I've shopped Speedway Motors, Racer Parts Wholesale, looking at the material options from companies like Hawk and WilWood. There are a lot more. GM brakes have better options but stuff does exist for the Ford brakes as well.