• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel/tire setup

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been going around & around on which wheel & tire package to run. It's harder than trying to pick out paint color! I don't like how the current 17" wheels stick out and decided to go with stock looking wheels with original style hubcaps. I have a 2 1/2" SL and a 1" BL. I want a nice, clean tuck look.

I'm looking at 15x7 wheels with 4.0" backspacing and run 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s. Links to wheels below, either Summit Racing or Coker. Will this combo work on my Luber without rubbing?

Summit Racing:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-62-575504/overview/

Coker:
https://www.cokertire.com/o-e-style-ford-wheel-primed.html

My bronco with current 17" wheels:

Attachments

• IMG_9920.JPG
    IMG_9920.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 113

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't see why a 7" wheel with 4" backspacing would rub with a 10.50 tire on it.
Mine doesn't with the same setup...
IMG_20170312_101638345 (Large).jpg DSCN2057 (Large).jpg
I've got the same size, but not 100% sure it's the same series. I'd have to check the receipts, but they're the same brand from the same source. If 904Bronco pops in before I can find the info, he'll confirm.

Anyone else have trouble accessing classic late at night? This is the third or fourth time that around 11 pm to about 12:34 am that I can't get anything. All other sites and searching works, so it's not at this end seemingly

Strange...

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I

Anyone else have trouble accessing classic late at night? This is the third or fourth time that around 11 pm to about 12:34 am that I can't get anything. All other sites and searching works, so it's not at this end seemingly

Strange...

Just this morning. No issues last night

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I have been having a problem accessing it as well. Tried three times this morning from 6 am till 7;30 am. Page wouldn't come up. Been doing that the last few days. Ken

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I don't see why a 7" wheel with 4" backspacing would rub with a 10.50 tire on it.
Mine doesn't with the same setup...
View attachment 426006 View attachment 426005
I've got the same size, but not 100% sure it's the same series. I'd have to check the receipts, but they're the same brand from the same source. If 904Bronco pops in before I can find the info, he'll confirm.

Strange...

Paul

Yes...a couple of times lately...

Joe473

I've been going around & around on which wheel & tire package to run. It's harder than trying to pick out paint color! I don't like how the current 17" wheels stick out and decided to go with stock looking wheels with original style hubcaps. I have a 2 1/2" SL and a 1" BL. I want a nice, clean tuck look.

I'm looking at 15x7 wheels with 4.0" backspacing and run 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s. Links to wheels below, either Summit Racing or Coker. Will this combo work on my Luber without rubbing?

Summit Racing:

Coker:

You mentioned hubcaps. I think the front hubs will end up recessed in the hubcap with a 7" wheel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good point Joe. Although, if you can make sure that all of the extra width of the wheel is in the backspacing and not the front, then caps and hubs should sit the same.
In theory that is...;D

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just PM'd Admin to let him know. In case it's anything he has control over.

Thanks for chiming in guys. Sorry to hijack the original subject there AFLtCol.
Great avatar by the way. That an old buddy? Perhaps a current one still, hopefully?

Paul

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good point Joe. Although, if you can make sure that all of the extra width of the wheel is in the backspacing and not the front, then caps and hubs should sit the same.
In theory that is...;D

Paul

Thanks Joe & Paul, will check to see about the extra width of the wheel, hopefully it's not the front.

About having issues accessing classic broncos, yesterday from 3-5pm I kept getting a message something like...."try again later, server busy."

My avatar was our last Great Dane, Zion. We rescued him as a puppy, he was deaf & had very poor vision. On top of that he had seizures and later in life, spinal stenosis. The vet said he would be lucky to live till 4; he was 11yrs old when he passed away. The spinal stenosis affected his hind legs and last couple of yrs and he progressed to a wheelchair. Up to the end, he loved life. I was deployed when Zion passed away, my wife had to go thru that alone and it was very hard on her.
Jerry

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bet. Great life he had obviously well loved. Many that are perfectly healthy don't live near that long. But 11 for one that had seen some hard times so early? Amazing!

Just talked to Jon and he says it might be something to do with automatic backup functions. Seems consistent with the times that everyone is having difficulty.
As they say in the body shop business, "we got our best guy working on it";D

Paul

OP
OP
AFLtCol

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In theory that is...;D

Paul

DirtDonk,
I checked with Coker this morning. "The additional width is divided equally to the front and rear. The overall width, including flanges, is 8", so a zero offset wheel such as this will have a 4" backspacing."

So now Im wondering if the extra width would cause the front hubs to be recessed with the hubcaps? You mentioned having the same tire size, are you running stock wheels, are they 15x5.5? I have a set of stock wheels but thought they would be too narrow for 10.50s?

- Jerry

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
There have been several threads lately about this very question. For example, http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279157.
And the question has been going on for many years among those of us who would like 10.50s. But the answer that keeps coming back is that you can't run a 7 inch rim width and use the stock hub caps due to the excessive recess of the hubs. Now I am going to sit back and wait for someone who has missed all those threads and will tell us that you can!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...You mentioned having the same tire size, are you running stock wheels, are they 15x5.5?

Nope. Stock-ish steel style, but 7" wide Wheel Vintiques brand.

I have a set of stock wheels but thought they would be too narrow for 10.50s?

Run 'em I say. Yes, it's slightly outside of the normal use area (approx. 4.5" wider tire than the wheel as a max) with your 5" wider tire, but if you can find a shop to mount them they'll be fine.
That's a normal size that we used to run on stock wheels all the time. You will adjust air pressures accordingly, looking at wear patterns, but should not have any safety or excessive wear issue at all.

I say "find a shop that will do it" because with all the rules and regs today, many of the larger chain stores will not mount that tire and wheel combo simply because it's not on the list or recommended sizes, as published by the tire manufacturer.
They're under their own strict rules about only doing what's "in the book" anymore.

Paul

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
I run my 33x10.50 15`s on a stock steel wheel and have always liked how they ride aired up or down I have cut rear openings with no lift ,good luck with yours

Joe473

DirtDonk,
I checked with Coker this morning. "The additional width is divided equally to the front and rear. The overall width, including flanges, is 8", so a zero offset wheel such as this will have a 4" backspacing."

So now Im wondering if the extra width would cause the front hubs to be recessed with the hubcaps? You mentioned having the same tire size, are you running stock wheels, are they 15x5.5? I have a set of stock wheels but thought they would be too narrow for 10.50s?

- Jerry
So I have been kicking this around too. I like the hubcaps for show, typically run with my stock white steel rims, but want the option of running hubcaps.

I'm considering finding 33x9.5" to put on stock rims. On a stock uncut truck I like the look of the taller skinny tire. I'm just worried this will cause me to add another inch of body lift after 2.5 " lift?

As for performance on and off rd my 30x9.50 do great on the highway and was amazed at how well the truck did off road at rausch creek with stock 5.5 rims and no suspension lift. Only 1" BL.

If coker or BFG brought back a 33 x 9.50 would you consider that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mikesimp70

Summit Racing:

Coker:

Ive been tossing around the same dilemma for my 76. 1"BL and 2.5" SL. I really want the hubcap look for my luber. I found a set of OEM 5.5" for $75 each plus freight. I am thinking that a new set of Coker 15x6 with 3.75"BS for $87ea freight included is a the better option. My engineering side says a 30"x9.5" tire would be best but I really want to push to 31"x10.5 as I see a lot of guys running these on 5.5s. Has anyone gone this route and how did the hub relationship to the hubcap work out with the added .5"?