• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

where are the 66 experts when you need them?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
The original color of my 71' was mallard green, it has since been painted red, and then later white. The only place I've been able to find any trace of mallard green is with a flashlight, laying on my back in the driver floorboard, looking as far up under the dash as possible.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All the codes have been explained by Scott C correctly. But I think I can solve the mystery. There definitely is no color code on the tag. Years ago I ran into a '66 roadster owner at the Fab Ford show with a unique one. He swore the roadster was ordered "prime" and I did not believe it until I took some photos of his vin tag. The prime color appeared silvery or gray in nature on the interior side of the bronco (the exterior was painted some off color). Check out the vin tag photo attached. Oh yea, notice the 6 digit dso code? I would imagine that had something to do with the special ordered paint selection?!

As for color codes for "prime", there was no listing for that color until 1967 with the number 9. You can see this on Bronohio's website under the vin decoding. So now that makes two for me!

Also a great way to verify the prime color, remove the tear drop access cover from the backside at the upper portion of the tail light post. Usually these are never removed for that second or third paint jobs and still have the original color on the hidden backside. Picture attached shows it in the upper left corner.

tim

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN1606.jpg
    DSCN1606.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Broncitis

MEB Founder
All the codes have been explained by Scott C correctly. But I think I can solve the mystery. There definitely is no color code on the tag. Years ago I ran into a '66 roadster owner at the Fab Ford show with a unique one. He swore the roadster was ordered "prime" and I did not believe it until I took some photos of his vin tag. The prime color appeared silvery or gray in nature. Check out the vin tag photo attached. Oh yea, notice the 6 digit dso code? I would imagine that had something to do with the special ordered paint selection.

As for color codes for "prime", there was no listing for that color until 1967 with the number 9. You can see this on Bronohio's website under the vin decoding. So now that makes two for me!

Also a great way to verify the prime color, remove the tear drop access cover from the backside at the upper portion of the tail light post. Usually these are never removed for that second or third paint jobs and still have the original color on the hidden backside. Picture attached shows it in the upper left corner.

tim

Hmmm, I'll have to confirm with my dad in the morning, but I was just up at his place tonight and looked at a repro VIN tag he just got from Marti for the 67 U14, and I think it may have had a 6 digit DSO code as well. I just looked at it real quick and did not even think about that, but vaguely took note that there were a lot of digits under the DSO.

He sent pics of the original to them, so I am assuming it is correct (I did not have them both next to each other to compare).

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Drew, 6 digit codes do not correspond to each other bronco to bronco if that is what you are questioning. I tried that! From what I understand, they are numbers tied to paperwork and on that paperwork (if you could find the original stuff) list all the "special" items associated with the vehicle. Kind of like an invoice number.

Those body buck tags do kind of spell out the "special ordered" items though. That is where I have been researching to see what the coding means on them and looking at the rigs to see which ones share the same goodies. But if you are looking for the color code missing like this one, well then I understand your inquiry.

Btw, my '66 half cab has a 6 digit dso but I still can't figure out why as nothing really stands out of the ordinary. tim

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
You can usually find the stock color up on the dash on a repaint that has been missed too. Looking up where the '66 windshield frame bolts up is a great spot.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Drew, 6 digit codes do not correspond to each other bronco to bronco if that is what you are questioning. I tried that! From what I understand, they are numbers tied to paperwork and on that paperwork (if you could find the original stuff) list all the "special" items associated with the vehicle. Kind of like an invoice number.

Those body buck tags do kind of spell out the "special ordered" items though. That is where I have been researching to see what the coding means on them and looking at the rigs to see which ones share the same goodies. But if you are looking for the color code missing like this one, well then I understand your inquiry.

Btw, my '66 half cab has a 6 digit dso but I still can't figure out why as nothing really stands out of the ordinary. tim

I'll be up there today and will take a pic of the VIN and buck tags to see if anything stands out as unusual.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Here is a pic of the original VIN my dad sent me this AM. I will take a picture of the buck tag this afternoon....

Attachments

• 67 U14 Vin Plate.jpg
    67 U14 Vin Plate.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 32

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
If it has a hard top that has never been removed, take the top off and look on top of the window frame or under the dash pad..

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is a pic of the original VIN my dad sent me this AM. I will take a picture of the buck tag this afternoon....

Very interesting here! Let us know what you find out on the buck tag and is there anyway to find original primer?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Here is a pic of the buck tag....

Attachments

• CIMG9725.jpg
    CIMG9725.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 37

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very interesting here! Let us know what you find out on the buck tag and is there anyway to find original primer?
Hey Tim, Ford only used "red oxide" primer. When Ford primed the body/tub it was on a large conveyor that was dunked in a primer vat and dripped dried. They called the line the "red river" because all of the primer going all over the place. The old school red oxide primer was very high in led content. So needles say no one makes it anymore but the closest I found in color correctness is Rustoleum's rusty metal primer.

Jeff

Last edited:

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Tim, Ford only used "red oxide" primer. When Ford primed the body/tub it was on a large conveyor that was dunked in a primer vat and dripped dried. They called the line the "red river" because all of the primer going all over the place. The old school red oxide primer was very high in lead content. So needles say no one makes it anymore but the closest I found in color correctness is Rustoleum's rusty metal primer.

Jeff

Interesting! So that one I saw in CA was most likely red primer first and then the first owner shot it with silver or gray paint. The present owner told me the original owner was a dentist I believe. I'll include a pic of what it looks like now. tim

Attachments

• IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 27

66Uncut

Contributor
Great thread as I've been trying to decode my 66 (Nov. 65 build) VIN. The part that confuses me is the third line, which I guess is the DSO but it's 6 digits:

Is the DSO the first two digits, 22 (Charlotte) or 24 (Jacksonville)? What about 47? I didn't see a code DSO 47 on the broncohio VIN page.

Also, based on an earlier post in this thread, on the second line:

092 F U150 198 C 03

...I'm guessing the 1 in 198 is for bench seat?

Cheers,
Anthony