• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

where do I lift to install body lift

70_Steve

Old Guy
I dont know where to lift the body from where it wont damage anything. Any tips
I had a 4' length of 4x6 that I put under the rocker panel (when I had rocker panels!). Jacked that up with a floor jack. You only need to raise the rocker a couple inches to take the weight off the body mounts. That way, you remove and replace the four body mounts on one side at a time. When you remove the last body mount, the frame will drop just a little, and allow clearance to install the new body mounts.

Install the mounts on the first side, but don't tighten. After installing the body mounts on the second side, let the body sit on the mounts and take some measurements, to insure the body is on the frame squarely. A ratchet strap or two will help slide the body around just a little.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Don't ever lift anywhere forward of the firewall. It will buckle the inner kick panels. Lift where the load can be spread out over a large area like where the U-shaped braces run under the floor.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
If I can remember right I did like steve said and placed wood long ways behind the rockers and lifted from there.The more contact the better.If your kit didn't come with some 3x3/8 or 3X1/2 washers,grab some before you start.You will need something to cover the holes in the bottom of the plastic blocks where your poly bushings touch.If you use metal don't worry about it.Good idea to have extra washers to shim where needed for gap adjustment too.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As what was said above , and do one side at a time leaving the bolts on one side really loose just makes it easier the keep the body straight on the frame . You might have the cutthe bolts off also

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Removing the old mounts....can be a pain in the kiester....its best to have a few erxtra sawzall blades.....along with....ear plugs for wife, girl friendz, your neighbors....you get the idea......lastly.....lubrication....first.....spray threads....swallow 12, -24 ounces...prepare for battle, depending on what part of the country....

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thanks for all the tips. Im not even planning on trying to unbolt just the sawzal

I would try the bolts first. You will likely have several that will come out easy. Believe me, even if just one comes out easy it will be better than sawzall'ing them all!

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
I would try the bolts first. You will likely have several that will come out easy. Believe me, even if just one comes out easy it will be better than sawzall'ing them all!

Aw heck Scoop don't even tell him about putting tape over the frame on the mid body bolts!!!!%):eek:%);D:cool::D

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Hole saw is easier than a sawsall.

I just used a 5/8 bit once the bolts were out. I think it was Chuck who turned me on to that a while ago............ I also used a air chisel on the bushings I couldn't get to with the drill. worked well with no smoke and hot rubber flyin about