• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where does this flat bar go?

rmurphy98

I bought a 77 U15 with the hard top and doors un-installed.

It came with a loose flat bar that looks like it might be a weather strip retainer for the hardtop or gate? Can someone save me some time and tell me where does this piece go?

HT Bar.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You sure Mike? Just thinking that those holes look awful large for the small screws used in all the carpet/mat hold-downs that I've seen.
And the ones from the factory were at least punched cleanly in the middle of the bar, rather than offset to one side.

My first thought was the reinforcing plate behind the hard top for the lift-gate hinges, but I don't think that has so many holes. And I think those are just short blocks, rather than a long strip?
Then I thought, "hmm, custom made hard top hold down reinforcing plate" for the bed rails, or the top of the windshield frame. But that does not look right for those either.

Paul

OP
OP
R

rmurphy98

After trying it several places I did find out it has the same bolt pattern as the windshield to hardtop connection. May have been part of some aftermarket softop or something? From the responses and lack of responses it does not appear to be anything I need to install the hardtop. I wont throw it away just in case. Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of people would make reinforcing plates for hard tops. Usually for the side bed rails though, since the bolts distort those panels all the time. The windshield frame itself is not prone to this, but the hard top is still thin and can deform under the bolts probably due to that thick seal between the two panels. Not as bad as the side rails though.

Being a '77 I wonder if this is a Ford part? I've heard some owners say they've found reinforcing plates in their tops and thought they were factory. Any identifying markings by any chance? Like a Ford oval maybe?
Does not look like a factory made piece, but if it was that would be pretty cool.

Paul

Timstrk

Custom made "washer" for the hard top to windshield mount. Better than individual points for the bolts there. Going to make something similar for my new full top.