• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where is this oil leaking from?

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Good possibility you’ve got way more than one leak in there. Need to clean it all up before you can really start to see. But it I had to guess I’d say every seal and gasket from that video. There’s just far too much oil coating everything under there to guess from some pictures. That dipstick being caked in silicone gives me an idea that someone has been chasing leaks and just bandaid fixing it.

Lawndart

Loc.
^^^ adding to that; high crankcase pressure (bad/incorrect PVC system or excessive blow-by) can cause multiple leak points.

OP
OP
L

laffycaffi

I should add that the oil only leaks after the engine is shut off. Sorry if this is a newbie question but I’m hoping to troubleshoot this.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
So the dipstick is still leaking. You’re going to have to scrape all that silicone off and get it cleaned up properly. Then you can pull the dipstick and seal the tube where it goes into the pan. You’ll also probably want to get a nice clean bead around the edge where the piece is riveted into the pan. The other drips are most likely either from up top making their way into the bellhousing or the rear of the block. Either the rear main seal of the rear cam plug. There’s also a couple oil galley plugs back there.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
^^^ adding to that; high crankcase pressure (bad/incorrect PVC system or excessive blow-by) can cause multiple leak points.
As Lawndart stated your PCV system needs to work.

You need an active source of manifold vacuum (thru PCV valve) sucking on one valve cover, and a source of fresh air thru the vent in the other valve cover.

You are not getting any fresh air thru this valve cover:

2023-09-03_184120.jpg