• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to start

Premium Concept

Okay here is the question that I know will receive a thousand different answers, but I want to throw it out there for everyone. I was hesitant to post this thread out there b/c I knew the questions would come flooding in about needing more info on the Bronco, state of body, shape of axles, etc. etc.. Then I thought, screw it, I am gonna ask anyhow. LOL ;D

First and foremost, I am looking for general input, it doesn't have to be specific such as "get a warn 8500 and Duff 4 link" although that is always welcomed too. I am more looking at what steps you would take.

So here is the question:

I have a Bronco with a good tub and body that is already cut and wouldn't need much work on it in that section. However there is no engine - no braking system (does have the stock drums but no MC or lines) - No top - stock suspension. The things I know I want are an EFI engine, 3.5 lift and new cage and bumpers. It will be a DD with limited trail time, but I want the ability to jump off road if I want to and not worry too much about it.

So if you had 10K to spend, what would you attack first, and why?

Thanks in advance for all the input. OH, and give me a few minutes before smacking me to put on my fireman's gear for any flaming coming. ;) hehehehe

70_Steve

Old Guy
So if you had 10K to spend, what would you attack first, and why?
Since it's not running, I'm not sure why you'd worry about what to do first...:p Sounds like you're asking how to spend $10K!;) When I bought my Bronco, I did several projects all at once (2 1/2" suspension lift, F150 2WD power steering, replace Dana 30 w/ disc brake Dana44 with power booster, Detroit rear, etc).

Won't hit you up with a lot of questions, but it would be nice to know what front (Dana30/Dana44)and rear (small bearing/big bearing) differential you have. Also, you said no engine, but does it still have a tranny and transfer case? And do you plan on staying with that same tranny?

With a little more info I'm sure some of us could come up with a shopping list to total $10K.

So, some things I'd do:

Hydroboost front disc brakes
Power Steering
3 1/2" suspension lift
Low mileage EFI engine and Ryans (fordfuelinjection.com) EFI harness
Protofab Cage and front and rear bumpers
Soft top from someone... Rampage??? (STC replacement)

rhino2104

Sounds like you are in the same boat I'm in right now. Right now I'm looking at adding the following:

Power steering
Power brakes
Front disc brakes
D44 front
3.5" lift
Wheels and 33" tires
Cage
Soft top
Fix the cancerous rust
and if I have some left over I'm thinking about adding A/C as I'm a Texas native and I know the value of that in the summer ;D

And mine is going to be sharing a good bit of DD duty as well with the occasional weekend off road.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
First, determin what you want.
Pick a tire size. 33" is good for a daily driver as it doesn't massivly overload the bearings, brakes and steering. You should be able to get good longivity out of the drivetrain. bigger tires will have a worse affect, increase maintance, need better brakes, etc. Small tires go the other way.

What transmission do you want? Stick, 4 speed granny, 4-speed car, overdrive? Maybe a NV3550? Auto, simple C4, overdrive of an AOD, maybe wide ratio gear set and lock up converter with definable shift points of a 4R70W?

While picking parts, how about a transfer case? Atlas or Stak will take a big chunk of your spending cash and is probably overkill. But with the adaptors (varies per transmission) you could save by not getting the adaptor and optioning the transfer case with the correct input it could make an aftermarket transfer case reasonable.

Of course all this depends on what engine you are going to use.

Do you want A/C as well?

Couple of givens. Front disks, hydroboost and power steering. Multiple ways of doing each. from kits to junkyard parts and the price varies way too much depending on how you go. rear disks are a step up, I would keep drums.

Suspension, keep it short. 2½" makes for a good daily driver. Soft springs. with a lot of street miles I would consider a sway bar for road manors.

Axles, gearing depends on tire/engine/trans options along with any highway driving you want to do. But lockers are nice. Not knowing your location makes it a little tougher. ARB is good and safer for the street when dealing with snow and slick conditions. True-trak is a great limited slip in the front. Plenty of options. Being a mostly daily driver with little offroad I will go against my usualy suggestion of putting a detroit in it. But something more then open diffs is suggested.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
get the essentials, start from the bottom and work up. disc brakes ($600), front only will be adequate. 3.5" lift ($1200) is a nice medium, all around lift. power steering ($800) will make life easier, and with that you can run hydroboost ($600). a good used 5.0 with EFi shouldn't run more than $500, then another $800 for wiring, computer, and sensors. what trans? auto? manual? what size and how aggressive tires? count on $400 for a good exhaust. may as well prepare for wiring too ($450). bumpers, count on $1k for the pair and another $1k for a cage.

rhino2104

$400 for good exhaust? I think that could be done considerably cheaper if you know what parts you want vs. buying a kit.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
that's to have a shop do it. if you got tools and skills, i bet it could be done for about $150 or so.

rhino2104

that's to have a shop do it. if you got tools and skills, i bet it could be done for about $150 or so.

Right on. I wasn't thinking about that since I usually do all my own exhaust work. Although I have found some nice mufflers for cheap (about$20 or $25 each) that have a great, quiet-ish sound to them

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just starting out ?
My advice will always be , make it stop and go properly first , then start making it look pretty.
Here is what I'd use , based on my experience so far :

nv3550 or M5odR2 for a DD , I'd skip anything that has that really low (unuseable) gear on the street IE nv4500 , np435. I just took a 435 out of the street truck and swapped it into the trail rig , which had a stock 3 speed. I'd really love to have a first in the 4:1 range that the 3550 has , the ford /Mazda M5-ODR2 tranny is very similiar , uses ZF adapters and brackets , etc , and has gotten a bad rap from its earlier version the M5-OD , my opinion at least.

Hydroboost - haven't done this yet , but my f250 diesel has a hydrounit and works great. I'm not the happiest about my vac booster , but it does OK.

Disc brakes - a given anymore

Depending on how big you go on tires , a dana 30 will be fine for 33's , as long as you offroad sanely. I've tried to blow my 30 up with 33's , it has held so far.
BFG has some skinnier 33's to help with fuel milage , or if you need taller tires , jump up to a 16" rim and get some (IIRC) 315-75-16 which are around 34.7" tall . You'll be looking for less rolling resistance.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Sorry but 1st where are you from what part of the country ...If I had 10K then I'd just buy one and be DD IT TOMORROW !!!.10 will buy a good one ..Sve your 2nd one for parts or as a slow build ...Mine has been down since last Sept and that's just a year of my life i've lost ...
...My 2 cent worth..

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
4 Wheel Disc, NV3550 and a 5.0, 3.5" lift, 1" body lift (for the NV conversion) one piece door inserts, soft top, 35" tires, and a family cage. Shop smart, do the work yourself and you would probably have cash left over. Remember that Craigslist is your friend.