• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

which coils and leaves are best?

broncbuster

I'm looking for some input on which of the myriad of coils and leaves available are best in your opinion. I do some rock crawling, usually on "moderate" to the low end of "difficult" trails around Las Cruces, NM where I live (Chile Challenge) I really enjoyed "fins & things" at moab. I think I'll try "hells revenge" next time I go. I'll try anything that I think I can do without body damage. Some sand running, including hill climbing. Some pre-runner type driving and some general trail running, nothing too extreme. Very little street driving. I don't want anything too stiff, but I also know I don't want anything too soft. I'm pretty much considering Duff, Wild Horses Rock Crawlers, or BC. I think Cage would be too soft and I know from experience that Skyjacker, Rancho etc is way way too stiff. Has anyone had progressive rate coils (Duff, Wild Horses) sag in a relatively short period of time?

Thanks for your input

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I poersonally will never buy a leaf spring from any other manufacturer than Deaver. Deaver makes leaf springs for most of the bronco houses, but not all and some of the bronco houses carry other manufacturers also and one will not tell you who makes theirs.

I base this OPINION on my experience breaking a few leaf springs within a year of new installation. These were made in India springs. Never a problem again since I changed to BC Broncos Deaver springs.

One other thing to note that there are other spring manufacturers out there that I have not tried and may have as good of product as the Deaver springs, but I doubt any of thoes "equivelants" are made in India ;)

Dan

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have WH 3 1/2" rockcrawlers and 11 leaf rear springs and used to do a lot of similar crawling down around Alamogordo. I really like them and haven't had any sagging problems. Nice comfortable ride on the street too.

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
I had the 3.5" Duff springs for two years and they were awesome. Great ride and nice flex with no sag. At the same time I went cheap and ran Wild Horses full size add a leaf in the rear and it worked great as well. Not a bad option to save some coin if your rear springs are in good shape...

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
I'm from Las Cruces also:) , and i've done about all the moderate trails, and i have done most of the hard trails (Sandia Gulch, Cayenne Crawler, Lower Broad, etc..) I also go to moab about once a year.

My bronco has the 3.5" superlift kit with add-a-leaves from JBG. This kit has been an OK suspension... but is very far from being optimal. The superlift kit hasn't sagged much since installation(~5 years ago), maybe half an inch.

The superlift kit is good for most Moab trails, But for the kind of rock crawling that's in Las Cruces, it's terrible. It doen't flex very much, which causes a lot of tire lifting on the harder trails;D . I would recommend a Cage suspension or a similiar kit that is fairly soft for Las Cruces Trails. The Superlift is really limiting my truck compared to other people's truck with better suspensions.:(

theshadow

Im also running WH 3.5" 11 packs. But im not running the rockcrawler springs...dont remember what the other option is called. I love the ride, on and off-road. I always hear that Deavers are the best leaves out there though...

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I'm running 3.5 BC broncos coils, and WH 4.5 leaves. I run a hard top and carry lots of stuff so I just planned on some sagging. The BC coils sit a little high anyhow.
I haven't made it to NM, or Utah yet, but I've run the rubicon and most of the well known trails in Socal just fine.
Tom

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I run deaver 5.5 coils in the front and 5.5 leaves. The ride is great and the flex is great.

73bronc92

i was wondering i got like a 4" lift kit with 5 1/2 inch coils not sure how it works in the rear but its like a 7 or 9 pack and i want to upgrade to softer suspension so would i get softer 5 1/2 cooils and what for the rear??? thanks %) not trying to jack your thread either... gonna run 37's with a spare tire if that helps

prtylikarockstr

i have toms bronco parts 5.5 lift switched out the rear leaves they were terribly stiff. i just put the stock leaves in the rear and shackle fliped the back it flexes way way more and smoother

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I'm from Las Cruces also:) ,
My bronco has the 3.5" superlift kit with add-a-leaves from JBG. This kit has been an OK suspension... but is very far from being optimal. The superlift kit hasn't sagged much since installation(~5 years ago), maybe half an inch.

The superlift kit is good for most Moab trails, But for the kind of rock crawling that's in Las Cruces, it's terrible. It doen't flex very much, which causes a lot of tire lifting on the harder trails;D . I would recommend a Cage suspension or a similiar kit that is fairly soft for Las Cruces Trails. The Superlift is really limiting my truck compared to other people's truck with better suspensions.:(

The add-a-leaf kits and springs that JBG sells are not Deaver springs, they are from Superstiff. JBG ALSO offers SUPERFLEX springs which are Deavers and they ride awesome. Dont cheap out on your springs.