• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which Engine?

Winesalot

OK - I know this is like asking which flavor of ice cream is best - I get it, lol!!!

But....I am thinking ahead for my future bronco purchase and one of the I items I want in it or will make the swap myself is a nice easy driver fuel injected motor.

I will not off-road the bronco any more than a rural gravel road. I will not rock climb, I will not race it, I will not put monster tires on (Maybe a bit oversize because it looks a bit more badass), I will never tow anything, and I will rarely drive highway speeds. This will be for having fun, looking good, and driving to local wineries and the hardware store.

I want fuel injection so I don't have to eff with carb tuning and choking it on cold days. I did all that crap with my first bronco when I was young.

So hit me with your thoughts and why you think that way.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Late nineties Explorer or Mountaineer 5.0. Find a complete vehicle and use engine, harness and computer, and possibly some other things. Interested in automatic with overdrive?

OP
OP
W

Winesalot

Late nineties Explorer or Mountaineer 5.0. Find a complete vehicle and use engine, harness and computer, and possibly some other things. Interested in automatic with overdrive?

So I'm looking for an explorer/mountaineer with a 5.0 motor?

Yes on the automatic for sure. The overdrive would be a nice bonus.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Yes. The Explorer/Mountaineer fuel injection intake clears most hoods on early Broncos and is one of the best flowing intakes offered on the 5.0. The front dress is also the shortest offered from the factory on the 5.0, more clearance between fan and radiator. The factory cam in these engines also works well for most Bronco usage. It's a popular conversion. It will require an adapter between the tranny and Dana 20 if you use the automatic.

Rangerbj

Is budget no limit?

I just put a Blue Print Engine in with a carb. (I don't like electronics, that's why I bought a bronco) The engine came complete with everything. $3200 delivered.
Plenty of power, more than I will every use. Starts right up every time. But only my opinion

OP
OP
W

Winesalot

I certainly wouldn't say 'no limit' but I want to have a problem free engine.

What about the intake manifold replacement setups that have fuel injection?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like you want a straight six with one barrel. No muss no fuss works great around town. It will outlast any EFI system out there. Just don't hang 4000 lbs of metal after you get it like roll cage, bumpers winch lift etc, then you will need a v8.

Fuel injection is a constant issue on this forum, lots of issues unless you use tried and true stock ford (then you have old parts problems) or use brand new expensive complete systems like Edelbrock proflo. Throttle body injection such as FAST or sniper or fitech. Even the full complete systems will be an issue to some degree so nothing EFI is easy, until it is fully dialed in.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Torque is what makes it fun to drive. The Explorer 5.0 and gears (4.88ish, depends on tire size) will be a hoot to drive. Not race car crazy, but it will put you back in your seat if you wish.

Then there are new levels of fun by doing a 351 or a 408. From your description I would pass on any 347 builds, unless something really special they tend to have a HP target in mind and that is not what you want.