• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

which epoxy primer do you prefer?

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
a guy here at works suggest the PPG brand. Is epoxy primer basically epoxy primer? Is the PPG brand anygood?
thanks
Ben

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Yes, PPG is a good brand. You can't really go wrong with PPG. I would, however, pick a painting system (brand) and try to stick with it throughout the primer/paint process. Products are engineered to be used together.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
The DP epoxy primer is pretty good. They make it in Green, red, black, grey, white. It needs catalyst, either DP401LF or DP402LF. The 401 is better quality. A little slower to dry but it is better. Remember to let it sit about a half hour before you spray it. The epoxy is just a protective base primer it is NOT a finishing primer. If you use the 401 catalyst you supposedly have a few days to coat it with primer without having to sand the epoxy. WEAR A RESPIRATOR , 3M makes a very good disposable one part # 07193 ( organic vapor/P95 )

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
I had remembered someone told me once to wear a respirator with any paints especially ones with a catlyst!

The paint I'm gonna use and primer came from PPG so I'll probably go with epoxy from PPG also!
thanks for the replys
Ben

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
spraying outside? Stay up wind!

I'm using PPG DP50LF / DP401LF with great results.....

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
cool mad, thats just what I wanted to know. Who all was actually using the PPG products.

I work in a chemical plant so you guys know I know about respirators, and the correct cart. to use. I have a industrial half mask, and it worked just fine when I painted my 79 drag mustang. :).... Man! I cant hardly wait to get this thing back together.........got some more of my parts in yesterday. Now I just have to get time to GET TO WORK on it! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ben

72moore

I use y2k you know the yellow stuff
hi build after using an etching primer