• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which Fuel Rail for EFI Swap?

Killer Frogs

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
Putting in a 5.0 from a '99 Explorer. I am using the high and low fuel pump with the accumulator. The fuel rail from the Explorer does not have the fuel return. I got a fuel rail from a buddy from a Crown Vic (in the pic) which has the return fuel. The problem is where the fuel pressure regulator is too high and interferes with the upper intake. What fuel rail does anyone suggest?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20151212_171334.jpg
    20151212_171334.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 94

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
One that has the inlet and outlet at the back of the motor. It looks a lot cleaner. I think the earlier explorers have it that way. Note that you may have to bend either the inlet our outlet to avoid the firewall.

Eric

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A rail from a HO motor will have the regulator on the passenger side (mustangs, some lincolns, etc). Car HO had fuel connections in the front. Explorer is at the rear. And no, you can't just turn the rail around.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I think 99 Explorers were the 1st for returnless fuel systems. So 96 thru 98 5.0 Explorers have the fuel rail you are looking for...

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One that has the inlet and outlet at the back of the motor. It looks a lot cleaner. I think the earlier explorers have it that way. Note that you may have to bend either the inlet our outlet to avoid the firewall.

Eric

Any special prep or technique to bend fuel rail connection to avoid kinking? I was thinking a smooth piece of proper OD brass rod inserted into the fitting and slight pressure.

Thx

Hank

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I heated it up with a torch and just bent it to where I wanted it. Anything you can do to prevent kinking would be good.

I think I read that the explorer system can sometime interfere with the distributor. It wasn't a problem on mine but I have a 351 and it pulls it further to the side.

Do a little research on the 96-98 explorer fuel rail and you will see yhe difference. I know there are a number of people that use it here, so it's doable.

Eric

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I heated it up with a torch and just bent it to where I wanted it. Anything you can do to prevent kinking would be good.

Eric

Any idea how much heat? Does the heat permanently discolor the chrome playing? I have the 351W as well and the DS rail fitting is very close to the firewall. It needs to come forward about an inch to allow clearance for the AN fitting.

Hank

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Any idea how much heat? Does the heat permanently discolor the chrome playing? I have the 351W as well and the DS rail fitting is very close to the firewall. It needs to come forward about an inch to allow clearance for the AN fitting.

Hank

It would have been medium red before I started bending it. I heated it as quickly as possible with MAPP gas to prevent damaging the soldered joints. I think the chrome looked ok afterwards, but now that it is installed, I can't even see the bend anymore. It is hidden behind the intake and brake booster.

Eric

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just put a stand alone remote regulator before the fuel rail. I did that 10 years ago on a V8 Ranger swap. Didn't have any issues.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I think 99 Explorers were the 1st for returnless fuel systems. So 96 thru 98 5.0 Explorers have the fuel rail you are looking for...

This. But I'd just use the 99-01 rail.

Just put a stand alone remote regulator before the fuel rail. I did that 10 years ago on a V8 Ranger swap. Didn't have any issues.

...and this.

Since you are running the 99-01 system you need to run it at 65psi. A return type of fuel rail is going to have a pressure regulator on it that is set to run at 39 PSI.

You could swap that type of regulator out for an adjustable unit, many have with success. But personally I'd just mount something like this on the frame before the fuel rail and run the return line from it back to the tank (do not apply vacuum to the port).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13129/overview/

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I used the '96-98 Exploder rails from a 5.0 on my 418. Feed and return lines are in the rear AND they do not have a line crossing from one side to the other in the front so no interference from the distributor...HOLD IT, I don't have a distributor anymore (thanks to help from EFI Guy) but it's a cleaner look without the hose... regulator is on the drivers side but I have the TB on the drivers side... I used a slight amount of heat to bend the feed line to clear my Victor intake... just go slow and don't kink it!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I guess we should also ask which EFI system are you going to be running? Are you keeping the Explorer, using a mustang based EFI, or something else.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I used the '96-98 Exploder rails from a 5.0 on my 418. Feed and return lines are in the rear AND they do not have a line crossing from one side to the other in the front so no interference from the distributor...HOLD IT, I don't have a distributor anymore (thanks to help from EFI Guy) but it's a cleaner look without the hose... regulator is on the drivers side but I have the TB on the drivers side... I used a slight amount of heat to bend the feed line to clear my Victor intake... just go slow and don't kink it!

The sides extend forward a little so they can hit the distributor. Note how the fuel rail isn't even plugged into the injectors.
FR%20Expl%20interferes.JPG

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The sides extend forward a little so they can hit the distributor. Note how the fuel rail isn't even plugged into the injectors.
FR%20Expl%20interferes.JPG

That's only an issue on the remote TFI distributors. The integral TFI distributor is taller and will clear. If you look at the wiring between the two you will see the wires you need to feed the remote TFI are a pass through on the integral module. A little splicing and you have two different TFIs under the hood. The integral "dummy" and the functional remote.

You can also notch the taller integral distributor for the remote harness, rebuild the distributor out of two (tall and short), make a hybrid that you can't find anyplace in a pinch, and still have a hole in the side of the distributor that needs to be filled where the TFI was. Easiest by just bolting a TFI in place and having nothing connected to it. Not recommended as you have a speciality part that is a bastard that doesn't need to be.