• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which headlight kit? Tom's or WH's?

SteveMa74

Contributor
I haven't driven my bronco at night for some time (as in years). Mostly just been putting a few weekend miles on it here and there during the day. Coming home in the dark the other night, I couldn't believe how bad my headlights are. I plan to start commuting to work in the Bronco a day or two a week...meaning more nighttime driving.

SO..... Wild Horses sells the H4 headlight conversion kit with Illuminator harness for $155. claims a 60% more luminous beam and comes with the option to set it up to run dual pattern (hi and lo simultaneously) for off road use.

Tom's sells an H4 Halogen Conversion kit with heavy duty wiring harness for $100.

Any experience or preference folks care to share would be greatly appreciated. Just hoping to get brighter/stronger lights. I know these won't match the LEDs of today's modern cars, but has to be better than whats in there now.

thx

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Both kits work great just do yourself a favor and don't go with the eBay hid replacement set up. Just adding a relay harness to your existing lights will give an improvement and many others will tell you the cheap eBay H4 conversion works great and some do have a decent beam pattern but most if not all don't come with a relay harness and you take the chance of melting your stock wiring if you run higher wattage bulbs than stock and they will not be as bright either.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Wild Horses sells the H4 headlight conversion kit with Illuminator harness for $155. claims a 60% more luminous beam and comes with the option to set it up to run dual pattern (hi and lo simultaneously) for off road use

I went with WH for this reason.

It works great !

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Both kits work great just do yourself a favor and don't go with the eBay hid replacement set up. Just adding a relay harness to your existing lights will give an improvement and many others will tell you the cheap eBay H4 conversion works great and some do have a decent beam pattern but most if not all don't come with a relay harness and you take the chance of melting your stock wiring if you run higher wattage bulbs than stock and they will not be as bright either.

This is good advice.
Of course, if you want lights that are as good / better than most new cars on the road, then check out my website.

76 One ton

Loc.
Shawnee, Ok
I went with the kit from Tom's. Was very easy to install and good quality. I was not concerned with running both beams at the same time as I have additional lights for night wheeling. I will say it was a huge improvement over stock lights.

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
I picked up the kit from Toms after seeing their blue Bronco at the Bronco Daze a couple years ago. The best $100. I have spent on my bronco. Yeah some really nice LED's would be nice, but the extra $ is nicer to keep for now. in 3 years they will be way more affordable as everyone will make them, than we can all have them at a much more reasonable price.

OP
OP
SteveMa74

SteveMa74

Contributor
I picked up the kit from Toms after seeing their blue Bronco at the Bronco Daze a couple years ago. The best $100. I have spent on my bronco. Yeah some really nice LED's would be nice, but the extra $ is nicer to keep for now. in 3 years they will be way more affordable as everyone will make them, than we can all have them at a much more reasonable price.

Thx guys. Much appreciated.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I replaced my stock halogens and it made a marked improvement. Halogens do degrade over time. Couple that with a headlight harness and you would be surprised how well the stock set up works. May be worth a try for ~$50-60.

Both kits look about the same with Tom's being a little cheaper.

tw322

I also installed the kit from Toms earlier this year. very easy install and a HUGE improvement.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Heus33 I do agree and have a set of your lights they are great but I was just going with the fact that he was asking about the H4 kits and thought I would throw out a warning about cheap HID kits as I'm sure someone would bring up replacing his lights with a set. There are so many different lights out there your kit is great than there's trucklite's led replacement kit and all the H4 kits my only point is you get what you pay for and just upgrading the housing and bulb will make a difference just not as big of one as replacing the harness at the same time not to mention the safety.

707Bronk

I reently installed the WH kit with the relay harness, was very easy to install. Both kits appear to be very similar, I went with WH because they were closer, and of course their service is excellent, both thier in-house service and here in the forum. Though, Toms is also a great vendor.

It's a dramatic improvement over stock lighting.

I went from being blinded by oncoming traffic and barely able to make out the white line with my stock lights to actually being flashed several times by oncoming traffic! A great mod for the money.

Arikilen

Loc.
Clovis, CA
I installed a Wild Horses H4 kit today. Super easy install!! Ended up having to relocate my battery tray though to make room for the relays.

I would recommend it.

OP
OP
SteveMa74

SteveMa74

Contributor
I installed a Wild Horses H4 kit today. Super easy install!! Ended up having to relocate my battery tray though to make room for the relays.

I would recommend it.

thx again guys. I ordered the Wild Horses kit today. hope to have it installed this coming weekend! and thx for the tip on possibly having to move the battery tray.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just FYI, we also offer the Night Lighter relay & harness (#6029) setup. It does not offer the dual-beam feature and is less expensive. I don't think it's currently offered as part of a "kit" like the other harness (though that could change) but it is on sale this month.
Perhaps it could be had in something resembling "kit pricing" form with lights, if you ask.

Paul

rhino2104

Just FYI, we also offer the Night Lighter relay & harness (#6029) setup. It does not offer the dual-beam feature and is less expensive. I don't think it's currently offered as part of a "kit" like the other harness (though that could change) but it is on sale this month.
Perhaps it could be had in something resembling "kit pricing" form with lights, if you ask.

Paul

Hrmm. May be very interested in that kind of idea in the coming week or two.

bigjhoov

nobody
Get some 7" round bulbs/housings for a vw bug and a headlight harness from summit and your set. Spend the extra money you'll save on something else.