• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which hydroboost with BC angled bracket?

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Has anyone fit a hydroboost on a BC angled bracket? If so, what hydro year, make, and model did you use? I found plenty of Astro hydro units at my local junk yard, but I do not know if they will fit. Is there a specific hydro I can mount to the BC bracket without using 1" spacer? I would prefer to mount it directly to the bracket.

Thanks,
Ed

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Has anyone fit a hydroboost on a BC angled bracket? If so, what hydro year, make, and model did you use? I found plenty of Astro hydro units at my local junk yard, but I do not know if they will fit. Is there a specific hydro I can mount to the BC bracket without using 1" spacer? I would prefer to mount it directly to the bracket.

Thanks,
Ed

I don't know about the BC bracket but the stock EB bracket and a 90-93 Astro unit is almost a bolt on. Check out http://www.silverfellatio.com/?page_id=27 I found out there are 3 different ones. Here's part of an e-mail I sent to Matt..
Hey Matt,

I don’t have one yet I’ve been looking for one and found out that there are 3 different hydro’s on the Astro’s. According to car-part.com and autozone they list them as 90-93 as the same. Then 94-95, then 96-2002. All 3 have different part numbers at autozone. I guess your is early one?

90-93 52-7251

94-95 52-7333

96-02 52-7353

OP
OP
E

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
great lead! Thanks for the info. This may work out because there were at least 3 90-93 Astro units at the yard. Now, the question is.....will it fit a BC angled bracket?

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I assume the BC braket was reversed engineered from an original bracket, so it should work with the slight tweaking suggested in EB6677's excellent article.

I am actually in the process of slightly modifying his article to include a part number and source for the clevis as well as a diagram for a spacer between the MC and the angled bracket to help with space constraints in the rotating assembly in the angled bracket.

OP
OP
E

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Thanks mp....I am not certain if the BC bracket has the same dimensions as the stock one. However, the bracket actually has oval-shaped holes for some minor rotational adjustment of the brake booster. Hopefully, this will allow for easier alignment of the Astro hydro unit.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
hydroboost bracket

I used a duff booster which is slightly different than the stock bracket and it was almost a directo bolt on. I would think that the BCB bracket would be similar.

MP what clevis do you suggest for the hydroboost install? I am goind to help a buddy install hydroboost on a bracket in his bronco and can't find a good clevis that I like.

thanks Ben

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I assume the BC braket was reversed engineered from an original bracket, so it should work with the slight tweaking suggested in EB6677's excellent article.

I don't think "reverse engineered" is quit right. I think closer to re-engineered. The stock bracket makes the booster and M/C sloop down in the front making it necessary to dent the inner fender on all except the 76-77's and the stock boosters were getting hard to find so I started over. I designed my bracket to make the booster and M/C set flat and I used a 78 Mustang II booster because they were easy to find. Later the mustang boosters got a little hard to find so I had new boosters make with the same bolt pattern and bellcrank connection as the Mustang II. So, the stock EB booster will not bolt to my bracket and the bellcrank connection is also different. Anyway, I am developing a hydroboost brake kit right now and have the mounting bracket out for bid right now. I will be selling a complete kit and just the bracket so you can go to the boneyard and get the booster and pump. It usually takes 1-2 mos. form bid to product on the shelf so I don't know if that helps but thought I would let you know what was coming before you started spending money and modifing parts.

OP
OP
E

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Thanks Chuck....Will your original bracket work with any hydro units? If so, what mods are necessary?

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Anyway, I am developing a hydroboost brake kit right now and have the mounting bracket out for bid right now. I will be selling a complete kit and just the bracket so you can go to the boneyard and get the booster and pump.

Sweet idea on just selling the bracket b/c I am cheap and would not spend $700 on a kit when I can find hydroboosts for less than $15.

Are your hydroboost brackets going to angle toward the fender?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Some have used my bracket for Hydroboost but I don't know what hydro boost or what they did to use it. Sorry.
My bracket will not be angled. I tested the unit on the racer this last baja 1000. Everything worked out. One of the hoses is close to the valve cover but the did not touch during the race. I have a 351w with the tall valve covers for the roller rockers. I don't think having the brake rod push at a angle is a good idea.

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
Woohoo! I have a 351W with tall valve covers and was trying to figure out what to do with my Hydroboost to move it away from the valve cover. I'm anxious to see your bracket Chuck!;D

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
mark, the simplest I could come up with would be to move it over to the clutch hole and then use the wide Lincoln brake pedal. This is a TOFIC special!
Course this doesn't work if you are running a manual tranny.

The second easiest that I am aware of is to mount the hydroboost to the oem or aftermarket power brake bracket. Very easy to do and that is how I have mine mounted. Do a search for hydroboost installs and you should find what you are looking for.

Ben

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Chuck, please explain I haven't had any issue with my install with the angled bracket. Maybe I missed what you are saying but I can't see why this is a bad idea? The stock brake booster works well enough this way and you have sold more than a few.

Ben

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
ED74, I don't know if it will fit the explorer unless you are talking about the air intake on the drivers side. If that is the case no it will not fit.
Ben, I have sold a lot of angle brackets but that is not the kind I am talking about. What I was talking about is the little wedge that is used by some between the firewall and the hydroboost. looks to be about 1/2" on one side and 1" on the other. There is nothing there to correct the brake rod to booster angle like the bellcrank does.

Dogdare

Thanks,
Ed

Can't let a hydroboost thread go idle for a year, so here goes.

Ed,

Did you ever find an h-boost unit that mated to your BC Broncos bracket w/o modification? I have the same vacuum booster bracket and want to start to collect the necessary parts for a conversion.

thanks,
Herb

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
which hydroboost with BC angles bracket

I beleive most any would work fine. I installed on kbldawgs BC bracket and it was really quite easy do to the pedal adjustment thats built into the BC bracket. We used an astrovan hydroboost unit for his. Maybe he will see it and throw up some pics of his setup

I run the same unit on a duff angled bracket.

Ben