• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which shocks?

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Every car I have owned has had Bilsteins installed ... even when purchased new. I typically wait 8-10,000 miles and then replace given the stock piece-of-crap shocks start to get loose(er). The wife goes nuts when the bill comes, but has always said "these are amazing and worth the price" ... I then get a "reward". New shocks and a ____ ___ ... life is good.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
I got a couple of questions that hopefully someone will have the answer for. . . <br><br>Does anyone remember who's making those new shock towers that are styled on the longer F-250 ones, but are stronger (they had like three holes running up the backside if I remember correctly)? I thought it was Chuck, but I can't find them on his site.<br><br>I was also wondering if anyone can provide part #'s for using Bilsteins on our trucks? I hadn't seen that anywhere, and I was thinkin that sure would be helpful.<br><br>thanks guys.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the links.<br><br>I did know about the ones BC Broncos sell. The ones I was looking for were like those, but someone was making them out of a thicker steel.<br><br>I had already checked eshock.com and shockwarehouse.com too(they're also real good to deal with) unfortunately, they don't list numbers for what I'm looking for. If I have a 3.5" lift (w/2"body) on mine and I run the F-250 shock towers, does anyone have a similiar setup with Bilsteins that they might have the part #'s for. I even checked out Bilsteins site which is informative, but seems to be lacking an online catalogue with specs. I'd like to figure my part numbers ahead of time so I can check with the local Autozone (although I'm beting the before-mentioned e-tailers will be cheaper).

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
[quote author=mlogan24 link=board=5;threadid=9941;start=15#73635 date=1034648606]<br>I got a couple of questions that hopefully someone will have the answer for. . . <br><br>Does anyone remember who's making those new shock towers that are styled on the longer F-250 ones, but are stronger (they had like three holes running up the backside if I remember correctly)? I thought it was Chuck, but I can't find them on his site.<br><br>I was also wondering if anyone can provide part #'s for using Bilsteins on our trucks? I hadn't seen that anywhere, and I was thinkin that sure would be helpful.<br><br>thanks guys.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Brett Kinch, http://www.rock-quip.rockcrawler.com/whats_new.html<br>He's almost impossible to get a hold of though. You can also try this (about half way down the page): http://www.aor4x4.com/shockmts.htm<br><br>As for Bilstein part numbers, I have some for the 5100 series. The 10" shocks will fit Broncos with stock rear mounts and a 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" lift. They will also fit the same lift with the Cross Enterprises rear shock hoops, and since you have to weld front mounts on anyway, they can be made to fit those.<br><br>#BE5-6248-HO, 25.93" extended length, 15.91" compressed length, for 10.02" stroke.<br><br>By comparison, a Rancho #9010 which is a popular shock for the same lift, has the following dimensions: 26.69" extended length, 15.84" compressed length, for 10.85" stroke.<br><br>The nice thing about the Bilsteins is that even though you can't adjust them, unlike the Ranchos you don't have to.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I had the ranchos and other than on a flat road you had to set 5 on the front and 3 on the back so what is to adjust. Forget about the ranchos there are a whole lot better choices. If anyone is running their ranchos softer than that in the dirt its because they havent tried any other setting.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Thanks Lars for the link to Brett's site (that's the mounts I was trying to remember) and for the numbers. I guess on the front mounts, I can just take my old 9000's off the rear, and see how they fit on the F-250 front mounts to determine sizing.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
[quote author=mlogan24 link=board=5;threadid=9941;start=15#74299 date=1034810461]<br>Thanks Lars for the link to Brett's site (that's the mounts I was trying to remember) and for the numbers. I guess on the front mounts, I can just take my old 9000's off the rear, and see how they fit on the F-250 front mounts to determine sizing.<br>[/quote]<br><br>The main thing to watch for is that you don't bottom the shock before you reach the uptravel limit (hitting the bump stop.) The best way to measure is to put the front end of the frame on jack stands, remove the wheels and coil springs, then use a floor jack to raise up one side of the axle until it hits the bump stop and compresses it about halfway. Then position the front shock mount so the distance from the lower mount to the eye on the upper mount is equal or slightly greater than the compressed length of the shock. If set the front mount up this way for a Rancho 9010 you'll lose a little downtravel with a 10" 5100 series Bilstein but you'll never bottom it out.