• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which vintage air unit?

vestvol

I'm buying my first eb and intend to add a/c. This rig has only linex no real insulation. Which Vintage Air Unit the Gen II or the Gen IV? I'm new to the bronco world The rig has a 351w.

EX-BRAVE

Loc.
Hooterville
I had installed 2 days after buying my 72 in July,1972, an after-market a/c brand ( Clardy Customatic Cool-Car Jet Star ) because it gets hot and humid in Georgia (Atlanta)from May-Sept. Never had a major problem with it,only recharged 2-3 times and the fan switch 3 yrs ago. it cools as good or better than new factory a/c units standard these days.Its a under dash unit with under dash vents.my owners manual/warranty has a Fort Worth,Tx. address (not sure if their still there or in business) Hope this helps. Highly recommend an a/c in any E.B.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
If I read BC Broncos' site right, they offer the "big boy" unit with the heater & everything all in one package and an underdash unit that's strictly AC....I assume it's current. I'd be interested to know what the effective cooling difference between the 2 would be & if one moves more air than the other.

Aside from Chuck @ BC, you could check out Arizona Mobile Air at

http://ackits.com/

They sell the unit that was in my '73 when I got it, installed by the dealer in Nov '72 according to the paperwork. The new units look to be pretty much the same, only updated to use the newer compressors & refrigerant. If you're going for the "vintage" under dash look they've got it.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
The ackits.com unit looks kinda like the one Tom's sells. If they're similar, I would probably go with one from the bronco vendors. I think I'm going to go with the BC Broncos A/C, seems to be the preference of most.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've had both the type has the hard duct under the dash and Vintage Air. I have the Vintage Air now. The major difference is in the blower fan. The Vintage moves a lot more air. Also the Vintage air uses a third belt to drive only the A/C. The other uses the PS belt. That's not a good idea. I've broke several PS mounts because of the load.