• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who Has Got the Best Cage?

fkngiant

Loc.
Phoenix,AZ
Looking to put in a new "Family " style cage in my '68, but I'm having trouble finding a cage that I like. I want something that's stout and provides really good protection but wont hinder getting the kids in back when we go for a fun run. I will be doing a wide variety of driving from desert running to treks through northern AZ and southern CO where the roads are narrow and drops are steep, hence the protection factor. I think I will end up building my own in the end so I'm open to ideas.

Any help is greatly appreciated and photos are the best help.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
This is a video of my cage, as far as I know it is the only cage that has been roll tested www.bcbroncos.com/gallery/ it is frame mounted and the 5th leg is removable. Whither you buy it or not use it as a bench mark because you can see it works.
PS you are welcome to use the ideas to make your own cage if you go that way

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Chuck, have you tested the cage without the 5th leg installed?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
No I have not. I expected the 5th leg to push the floor rib down until it hit the transfer case then stop but it did not push down that much. My thought is the B pillar will not push through the floor because it is frame mounted and it can't fold back because of the C pillar so even with hard rolls like the ones we did the B pillar will stay in place so if your head is below a line from the top of the B pillar and the front fenders your good. But that is just my guess and people think they need 6 legs that they bolt to the floor because that is the way it's always been so it's a hard sale to get people to go for a 5 leg cage even if it is frame mounted and tested.

Last edited:

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
that's a brilliant idea chuck, running the body mount bolts through the cage. I may very well be stealing that idea in the future, thanks for being so 'idea sharing'

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Since your in AZ you've got Protofab in Cordes Jct, and Paul at RPM fab down in phoenix. Pauls cages are pretty much custom and cost more but I've seen several and they are very nice. Mikes cages are also great and you get several options to add if you want. I run a Protofab family cage with most of the bells and whistles and I'm very happy with it.

With a cage you have to think about truck freight, it adds up fast!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
that's a brilliant idea chuck, running the body mount bolts through the cage. I may very well be stealing that idea in the future, thanks for being so 'idea sharing'
I understand trying to DIY to save money and have never had a problem sharing with those that want to save this way. But I have always had a problem with people using my ideas to make money. enjoy

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since your in AZ you've got Protofab in Cordes Jct, and Paul at RPM fab down in phoenix. Pauls cages are pretty much custom and cost more but I've seen several and they are very nice. Mikes cages are also great and you get several options to add if you want. I run a Protofab family cage with most of the bells and whistles and I'm very happy with it.

With a cage you have to think about truck freight, it adds up fast!

That would be my call as well. It isn't just the cage itself, but how to actually get the cage. Protofab does some great stuff and has been building cages for well over a decade I know of. Top notch stuff. And with your travels it is concivable to just stop by the shop and have it dropped in. I know of a guy in AZ that went through a nasty wreck on the highway with one of Protofabs cages. He has a scar on his leg where the turn signal lever went in and came back out. The Bronco came apart, engine left frame, axles left frame, body left frame, cage left frame. But seats were cage attached and so were the belts. He was talking to the cops when they showed up asking were the body was? Walked away. So I am convinced they are great cages.

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
Since you are in Arizona, that makes it a fairly easy decision - Protofab. If you want to weld it yourself, Extreme Custom Fab new cage builder is a great way to get the perfect cage and control costs. He is always running specials.

Dannyjoe

Loc.
Blythe, California
Roll cage

Looking to put in a new "Family " style cage in my '68, but I'm having trouble finding a cage that I like. I want something that's stout and provides really good protection but wont hinder getting the kids in back when we go for a fun run. I will be doing a wide variety of driving from desert running to treks through northern AZ and southern CO where the roads are narrow and drops are steep, hence the protection factor. I think I will end up building my own in the end so I'm open to ideas.

Any help is greatly appreciated and photos are the best help.

WEST COAST BRONCOS! I'll send you some pics if you want?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
FWIW I have a protofab cage and am very happy with it. I get a lot of compliments on how it's made too.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Save-A-Horse

Loc.
Grandville, MI
Sounds like a lot of good ones out there to choose from... I rememeber mine, as bought, came w/ a not-to-square custom cage that was functional...but sloppy-lookin. git-ir-done

FSD

I too am looking for a family cage. I like the ones mentioned and Tom's, I like the line on his.