• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who should I have rebuild my steering box?

Mike74Bronco

Loc.
Sandy, Utah
Does anyone know of a good place in Utah (Salt Lake area) that can rebuild a power steering box out of a '74? I was hoping to find a place locally that could do it so I wouldn't have to mess with boxing it up and shipping it.

If I do have to ship it out where is the best place to send it?

Thanks!

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
colin at aperformance can handle the job he is in the west arizona i think i can get you his info if you want to call him

OP
OP
Mike74Bronco

Mike74Bronco

Loc.
Sandy, Utah
I was looking at their website and they do a quick steer conversion. Have any of you had this done, or just the regular rebuild? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this conversion?

Based on all of your recommendations I think I'll try West Texas Offroad. Now I just have to decide on the quick steer option.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I had them install the quick steer in my early box. It's an awesome improvement!

They offer a 4 turn and 3.25 turn for the same price. I went with the 3.25 and am very, very happy with it.

Jeff

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
rebuilding a steering box

I wouldn't have thought that going from a 4 to a 3.25 turn would have been that noticeable? Too, I have also thought that the 3.25 may have been a bit touchy on the road? Whats your opinon?

Ben

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I had an early Bronco PS Box that was a slow ratio (7 turn?). I had that upgraded, so the difference is night-day for me. I wouldn't waste the money if already had a 4 turn.

The ratio is very streetable. I wouldn't call it touchy at all. It's much more comfortable than spinning that wheel around the world to make a left!

JN

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Kinda interesting I run a 77 box/4 turn and thought it was getting sloppy, well I also run a flaming river shaft to the box and decided to check out the set screws and yep it was just a little loose and I had maybe and 1/8 of a turn loose at the wheel. So I tightened it down and added some lock tite and whaddaya know it removed 3/4 of the slop!

Ben

OP
OP
Mike74Bronco

Mike74Bronco

Loc.
Sandy, Utah
I just talked with West Texas Offroad and they will rebuild the box for $140. For an extra $150 they can convert it to a 3.25 turn or 4.25 turn.

From what I've read in the forums everyone has a different opinion on this issue. I haven't driven my Bronco in 10 years (sad, I know) so I don't know if the 6 turn bothers me or not. I'll mostly be driving it on the street for now and then as funds become available I will make it more 4 wheel drive worthy. Does anyone have any advice on what ratio I should go with?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Just to restate my previous post:

I upgraded from the slow ratio to the 3.25 ratio and am very happy. It makes driving around town much more comfortable - no spinning the wheel to make a left/right. It was a big improvement over what I had in there.

J

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I just talked with West Texas Offroad and they will rebuild the box for $140. For an extra $150 they can convert it to a 3.25 turn or 4.25 turn.

From what I've read in the forums everyone has a different opinion on this issue. I haven't driven my Bronco in 10 years (sad, I know) so I don't know if the 6 turn bothers me or not. I'll mostly be driving it on the street for now and then as funds become available I will make it more 4 wheel drive worthy. Does anyone have any advice on what ratio I should go with?

I have converted both of my Broncos over to stock power steering setups. Both boxes are the earlier six turn style. One of the Broncos has the stock steering wheel and the other has a smaller Grant wheel. The six turn box with the big stock steering wheel is a PITA to steer. The little Grant wheel with the six turn box seems fine. So, in my opinion the turn ratio depends on the size of the steering wheel you are using.

OP
OP
Mike74Bronco

Mike74Bronco

Loc.
Sandy, Utah
Thanks for everyones input on this subject. I sent the box in to West Texas Offroad today and decided to convert it to a 4 turn. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Thanks again!!