• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who should I have rebuild my steering box?

banana

Loc.
Park city, UT
So my steering box needs to be rebuilt and I'm having a hard time deciding who should to do the job. When I got the bronco I figured I would just do it myself, as I have done a few in the past (the results were mostly ok, at best, always can get leaks stopped but the never seemed to drive as well as a reman). Then I realized how rare and expensive these boxes and started to look into having someone else do it. This site seems to claim that WTOR is the best place to send them off to but a local driveline shop here in SLC says that WTOR are the worst and they know of a place in CA that is "the best in the country" but it will cost $110.00 more than WTOR. I would hate to pay the extra $$ for no reason.

WTOR=$140 Shop in SLC, said they would ship it off=$250

Trooper1276

Loc.
San Antonio TX
Get a rebuild kit

Save some turn around time and hundreds of bucks and do it yourself. If you have done it before what's the hold up? If your really want someone else jacking with your very expensive steering box I have heard good things about West Texas. Good luck.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'd press the shop for details on WTOR being "worst in the country." They have rebuilt dozens of boxes for guys on this board and always get glowing reviews.

Why wouldn't the shop in SLC just tell you the name of the company in CA? They could be the ones charging you the extra $110 and pocketing the money as the middleman.

Lee's Power Steering is in CA and rebuilds boxes. They could be who the shop in SLC is talking about:

http://lee-powersteering.com/

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I've always heard very good things about Tom Lee as well, but have not used them yet.

PSC has done several for me and I have been happy with them.

I called WTOR years ago and spoke to them before I sent a couple out to PSC. I asked some questions about being able to re-sleeve in case the bore was out of limits (since EB PS box housings are relatively rare) and asked them what the tolerance limit was for scoring or wear in the bore was. The guy I spoke to said they did not re-sleeve, and that he was not sure about the spec limit, but he just ran his thumb nail around the bore.

Having a manufacturing engineering background, I understand the importance of having a working tactile feel with your fingernail for checking surface finish, but I also understand the need for knowing the actual specs and having a way to more accurately measure or verify once you find something possibly suspect.

PSC was able to better answer my questions and got my business.

However, with all that said, I have seen many people post over the years who seem very happy with WTOR as well.

Last edited:

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
What convienced me was when I sent my P/S box to Lee and they said I needed to replace the sector shaft and the cost would be OVER $500 for the rebuild and sector shaft. I paid them the $100 for the teardown and inspection and sent the box to WTOR. I had WTOR triple check the sector shaft and they said it was for sure in spec and didn't need to be replaced. They rebuilt it and I wheeled the piss out of it for several years. Then sent it back to them for another rebuild after a particularly brutal off road trip across Dusy-Ershim. That rebuild still used the same sector shaft and lasted for a couple years until I broke the steering box itself.... the housing.... nothing else. The sector shaft that Lee said needed replacing is still good.

I had WTOR rebuild a 4x4x2 box with their ram assist. I can do nothing but recomend these people for quality and price they can't be beat. Delivery, you may find some better, but not at that price, and not at a higher quality.

That said, if you are comfortable with rebuilding a P/S box, go for it! whats the worst that can happen? You blow a small ammount of money in parts trying?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
That said, if you are comfortable with rebuilding a P/S box, go for it! whats the worst that can happen? You blow a small ammount of money in parts trying?

Well, no, not really. If you don't get all the crazy little ball bearings in correctly, you can damage the box permanently. There is a guy on this board who tried to rebuild a box and didn't get one of the ball bearings in correctly. It ended up eventually coming out and floating around inside the box. Scored the hell out of the walls and basically made the case worthless. For $150, I'd rather pay someone to do it.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
I'd press the shop for details on WTOR being "worst in the country." They have rebuilt dozens of boxes for guys on this board and always get glowing reviews.

Why wouldn't the shop in SLC just tell you the name of the company in CA? They could be the ones charging you the extra $110 and pocketing the money as the middleman.

Lee's Power Steering is in CA and rebuilds boxes. They could be who the shop in SLC is talking about:

http://lee-powersteering.com/

I have use (Tom) LEE MFG for all my steering Boxes for the past 15 years. There are several companies you can use, than there a just a few that are Very Good, then there are the best in the business, like LEE MFG. I remember paying $250. for a sector Shaft , 10 + years ago.. I think now (if you can find them) they are about $400. + the rebuild cost.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I'am with 70 stead, I being from the seattle area, and know of there quality. Red head is a good option.

A friends mid 70's 2 wheel drive ford flat bed rebuilt,or blueprinted box was $270.

socofn

Loc.
Pueblo
I have been researching the same issue at having mine rebuilt versus replacing. WTOR seems to have the best price at $140. The folks from red head steering quoted me $296 for the re-build. Shipping to most places runs $40-60 each way. West coast bronco has a re-built box that is tapped and ported for ram assist which runs $495 plus shipping, this is probably the way I will go. I looked really hard locally (with in 120miles) but there are only a couple of places and they charge $200 to rebuild and check but once you have to start replacing internal parts it goes up. My opinion is you are better to get a new/re-built unit if you are not confident you can do it yourself. Hopes this helps. Also the folks at WTOR said they were having trouble getting the parts to do the 4x4x2 conversion at this time with no real time frame for getting what they need. JP

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I used these guys for the rebuild of the steering box on my '78 F150. I'm extremely happy with the results.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

I will chime in with personal experiance on this one.

My dad sent a manual box for our current 67 resto to them since few places rebuild those anymore.

It cost as much or more than a PS rebuild.

This was a couple years ago, since we stockpile parts for our projects. A few months ago it came time to put the rolling chassis together, so we finally put the box on. It has a tight spot in it so hard that when rolling the chassis you can not move the tires by hand! We ended up using another box we had. I do not know if my dad every followed up with them to about that or not since it had been a year or two since he had the work done. We have found that is the biggest pitfall of gathering parts over time, when you find a problem, too much time has often passed that the vendors do not want to remedy the situation.

I do know that when he placed the order he specifically requested they NOT paint the top cover red since it was going to be in a judged restoration. Sure enough, it came back red and needed striped and repainted! :mad:

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Weighing in: West Tx Offroad rebuilt my PS box about 6-7 years ago, and I've had zero issues with it since.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm a Dapper Dan Man Myself but when I'm done with my Hair I TAKE MY boxes to PSC.....
................. They made a little boo boo on one of mine .. I caught it when I PICKED IT UP.. They were so concerned about what I thought .. They fixed it in an hour.. Seemed to me like everyone in the shop stopped and helped get me going... They missed their dinner .. Or was at least late to it. But they fixed my Gear box. It's still woirking after 7 years and 3 motors.

scrapman1971

Loc.
phoenix,az
I have been researching the same issue at having mine rebuilt versus replacing. WTOR seems to have the best price at $140. The folks from red head steering quoted me $296 for the re-build. Shipping to most places runs $40-60 each way. West coast bronco has a re-built box that is tapped and ported for ram assist which runs $495 plus shipping, this is probably the way I will go. I looked really hard locally (with in 120miles) but there are only a couple of places and they charge $200 to rebuild and check but once you have to start replacing internal parts it goes up. My opinion is you are better to get a new/re-built unit if you are not confident you can do it yourself. Hopes this helps. Also the folks at WTOR said they were having trouble getting the parts to do the 4x4x2 conversion at this time with no real time frame for getting what they need. JP

wcb ported box is $625 the non ported one is $495 plus shipping
http://www.wcb4x4.com/mm5/merchant....Code=WCB&Product_Code=20287&Category_Code=STR