• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who’s none and Explorer 331/347?

akforsyth

Contributor
Now that the 5.0 is finally out if the explorer and in the corner of the shop I’m starting to think about what I want to do with it. I do plan on tearing it down and was contemplating going 331/347 with it just for shits and giggles. I’m wondering for those of you who have done this what parts you used or wished you would have used in your builds? Thanks.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
a 427.

Just kidding, or am I.

I used stock explorer serp with all new bearings I think one new pulley it was chewed up.

Seriously, I wish I would have had access to the sag pump brackets they have now, I was sort of leading the pack on all the mods trying to fine tune everything. Just could never wrap mu arms around the tiny explorer PS pump doing the job, that and the reservoir way up high.

BanditBronco

I would definitely go Moates Quarterhorse, in leu of other chip brands. That seems to be most tuners preference right now.

If you plan on revving it out like the 331 likes, if you go that route, make sure the valvetrain can handle it. Most brands only spec ~5500 rpm, breaking a rocker arm retainer and sucking a valve will ruin a good time real quick.

fordstrokers.com is a good place to start for internals. As far as externals go, you could probably stay pretty close to OEM for some of it, Edelbrock upper and lower, Delphi Injectors, lightning MAF, Accufab throttle body ($$ but worth it)