• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whos still running their stock 6 Cyl

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
Ok so am I the only one that is still running with an old 6 banger in their rig?<br>I am running a 170 cid all stock ( for now ) <br>I plan on a rebuild soon as I already have an extra short block put away ready to build. That is as soon as my $100.00 Tree starts putting out. I need to know what carb I can replace the stock one with as the one on it now is hurting. It is the stock 1 barl. ;D

jims66

My 66 resto has the stock 170 and it is even sort of zippy. My 69 that I have just started has a 95 351 sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. That should be really zippy!

66halfcab

Loc.
clarksville, tennessee
i run a stock 170-6 in my 66 halfcab. i use the truck as a daily driver and the 6 has proven reliable. only upgrade i have made was to install a pertronix ignition system. in regards to carb upgrades you might check out www.fordsix.com , the site mainly serves mustang/falcon guys but they have been helpful with my tech. questions. hope this helps!

in fact, i just checked out the site and if you click the tech icon there is a holley/weber carb conversion article.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
My 66 runs great, it has a 67 200 6 banger out of a falcon in it. <br><br>snake

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
For now I've still got the 170. It isn't doing that well though with blow-by problems. Most likely put the 5.0 in it when it comes time to rebuild/replace.

brokenhorse

Bronco Builder
Loc.
Wisconsin
Mines a 66 w/I6 It has a 200 out of a fairlane and it was built fresh It is a 7 bolt main and the head is off the original 170 I6 and I made my own air cleaner out of the old oil bath (just too dirty)It has some great low end and enough power for me for now until I get to learn how to drive the old bronco ( ::) )Don't wanna kill myself you know :eek:

All together and running It works GREAT

Oh Yeah I just picked up the rebuild kit for the carb on Sat. Looks scarey ?:?

HP1

66horse

Bronco Guru
We ran the 170 for about 2 years after we first got the bronco. It ran great! Was slow up hills (45 max) but other than that was awesome. I got the bright idea to put a 302 in. Did that last march/April. I am now about to pull the third 8 cylinder out. My bronco is mad. It just kills v8s. I think it wants its little 6 back!

civilgee

Loc.
Northport, Alabama
Mine is a 66 with the original 170 I-6 in it. It runs like a champ. As far as power, I can run 55+ up and over the mountains. The I-6 is a proven champ! As far as a carb...be careful using a carb off of a falcon I-6. They mount up perfect, except that the throttle arm in moves in the vertical direction instead of the horizontal direction on a bronco. You can but the falcon I-6 170 carb from the parts house for around $120, but like I said, you will have to modify the throttle are or you cable. I advise against it. I ran a falcon carb on mine for about a year and I recently found a old bronco carb and throttle cable to put back in place. It runs a lot more strong than before. If you want my 1 yr. old falcon carb, let me know. I will pass it along to you for a good price. I know Clifford carries a 2-barrel for the I-6 170, but it is expensive. Hope this helps.

66horse

Bronco Guru
Not sure if you can still buy the 1 brl carb. I am pretty sure civilgee got his from me. But i would thin enough people have swapped out thier sixes that someone would have one around. You could also just rebuild it. If you need any other parts for your 6 though, let me know. I have my 6 (minus carb) sittingin the garage in San Diego doing nothing. These are the kind of parts I think I would sell for beer.

MKD

Loc.
Edgewood, NM
[quote author=Jeep Slayer link=board=5;threadid=13192;start=0#99496 date=1042492380]<br>Can you still buy the stock 1 bbl for it and do you know the part # mine seems to be in bad shape although it still works alright ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>You can probably just have the carb rebuilt at a local shop. Run you maybe $50.

G

I have a '70 that I pulled the old 170 out of and put in a '78 200 out of a granada. It was a significant improvent over the 200, but then I put on a 2 barrel aussie head, and man what a difference. Now with headers and the 2bl head I feel that I have about double the power of the stock 170, in fact I have had it going 90 on the interstate with a fair amount of pedal left. I can say that all of this was not necessarily cheap.

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
I picked up a remanufactured 1 bbl thru NAPA for about $130. Don't have the part # with me here at work. If you have the metal tag most any place should be able to cross reference. If I proceed with the 5.0 swap I'll have 170 parts for sale real cheap.

jims66

[quote author=Jeep Slayer link=board=5;threadid=13192;start=0#99496 date=1042492380]<br>Can you still buy the stock 1 bbl for it and do you know the part # mine seems to be in bad shape although it still works alright ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Find a shop that only rebuilds carbs and has a flow bench. I had mone done in Santa Clara CA and they did an incredible job! It was around 125.00 and they had to replace quite a few hard parts.

alsroadster

Loc.
Sandia Park, NM
Hi all<br>I'm runnin a six still. It's the original 170 head on a 73 200 block. It seemed to be getting a little tired, til I put on a Duraspark ignition in it. Now the hill that had me at 35 mph at the top, I can be breaking the law easily when I crest the top (Speed limit 50). Being on a budgit it all happens pretty slow but I have a set of Hooker dual outlet headers I want to put on as soon as I can get them coated and a H/W 2bbl as soon as I get it rebuilt eventually a later 200 or 250 head is in the plans. all this as I also gather/scrounge parts for my PS and Disk brake upgrades too!

bronco_boy_66

Loc.
Indiana
I had a 200 6 out of a Maveric, then I went to a 170. I want to machine off the intake, so I can put 3 makuni (sp?) carbs on it. <br><br>my dreams

CraigS

It's not the stock 6, but I am building a 250 with an Oz head and turbo. Should get assembled enough to have the exhaust fabbed up this weekend.