• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH's Leaf Spring problems

txbronco_73

Loc.
Abilene, Texas
anyone that has installed wh's rear leaf springs may be able to help me, or any rear leafs for that matter. mine are 3 1/2". i cant get the pin in the center on the bottom to go into the axle spring perch. the leafs need to be pushed in about 2 inches to go in. the inst. said rear shackle, then front the center. what order works best for installing these? also, any tips to make it easier? thanks in advance

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
I installed the front, then the rear shackle and then slide the axle forward and back to line up with the center bolt on the perch.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Mine were off by about an inch. i was able to loosen up the shackle and hanger bolts then was able to get the axle in the centering holes

OP
OP
T

txbronco_73

Loc.
Abilene, Texas
i'll try loosening the bolts up. they are pretty loose right now. what about doing the center first? what problems might that create?

Landshark

Loc.
California
txbronco_73 said:
anyone that has installed wh's rear leaf springs may be able to help me, or any rear leafs for that matter. mine are 3 1/2". i cant get the pin in the center on the bottom to go into the axle spring perch. the leafs need to be pushed in about 2 inches to go in. the inst. said rear shackle, then front the center. what order works best for installing these? also, any tips to make it easier? thanks in advance

You do have the double wrap forward, right?

OP
OP
T

txbronco_73

Loc.
Abilene, Texas
yes, the double wrap is forward. the pin is not lined up left and right or front and back. if your looking at it facing the bumper, the pin is at 5:00 and the spring perch hole is at 10:00.

Landshark

Loc.
California
txbronco_73 said:
yes, the double wrap is forward. the pin is not lined up left and right or front and back. if your looking at it facing the bumper, the pin is at 5:00 and the spring perch hole is at 10:00.

Ok, so if I understand you correct, they just don't line up with the perch on
the axle? If that's all, you'll have to push one side in, start the ubolts up slow
until they are just touching barely. Then do it all over again on the otherside. Then push in until it sets, tighten it up, do the same on the otherside.

elemetal

Loc.
Oakland, CA
I remember making wedges for mine to get the pinion angle right and finding that the bolt didn't go into the perch easily. They use a larger bolt and the head needed to have its corners knocked down just a hair to get 'em to go in. I just made the holes in the wedges a little larger. Is this the type of problem you're having? It was 4 years ago so this might have changed, thought it was worth mentioning though.

OP
OP
T

txbronco_73

Loc.
Abilene, Texas
ok so here's the deal. i emailed the tech at wild horses this am. i didn't get e reply like the last time i had a problem. instead the looked up my # from the order i made and a guy named dave called me. he was very friendly and made everything understandable for me. my main problem is that i have the drivers side rear still hooked up with the stock susp. components, not allowing me to manuever the rear end where i need it. elemetal, your right about the spring perch hole needing to be bigger. i did that already. he said not to file the pin itself, because that would only make them as good as the stock ones. they use the bigger bolt to be stronger than stock. with what he told me i should have no problems getting it to fit. i guess we'll find out at 5. very good customer service i must say.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just put the same springs on mine. I took a dremel tool and just barely went around the inside of the spring pad (welded to axle). I took a drill bit that fit the hole in the piece that fits on top of the spring and angled it around just a little opening the hole slightly. Everything fit just fine. I dissasembled everything, put the new springs on the truck and then attached the axle to the springs.

Soliday

Loc.
Northern VA
I did exactly what JWMcCrary did and mine lined up perfect. I have not had a problem with the WH springs in 3 years. Like a fine wine, they get better with time.
-Soliday

OP
OP
T

txbronco_73

Loc.
Abilene, Texas
one question, on the plate that goes on top, does the hole need to be big enough for the nut to go through it, or does the nut need to sit on top? i figure it needs to go through it. any comments?

Soliday

Loc.
Northern VA
Yes, that is what the last two threads were about, we had to widen the hole so the bolt would go through the hole. The plate needs to be flat against the top spring or it will teater back and forth.
-Soliday

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
When ever I install rear springs I always drop the whole diff. Swap both springs, but leave the bolts loose. That way it is easier to pry and line up the perches. Then I tighten the U-bolts and set the rear on sturdy jack stands or I have even put the tires back on and set it on the ground. Next I bouce the suspension to seat the shackles and bushings. Then I tigheten all the bolts and install the shocks. This way all the bushings should be seated at normal ride height and not in a bind.

OP
OP
T

txbronco_73

Loc.
Abilene, Texas
ok, good to hear im heading in the right direction. ive heard the front susp. is trickier than the rear. i hope i can handle it. ill let yall know how the leaf springs go on. thanks