• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why is running gear offset?

75Bronc

Why is the running gear offset in an early Bronco? Engine sits closer to the passenger side frame rails, passenger side axle is shorter than driver side and so forth.

Just curious, thanks!

Rumcustom

Could it be for better weight distribution for a vehicle that was originally intended to be used as a utility vehicle with usually only a driver? Just a thought, good or bad.

dclack

Just my guess, but I'd say clearance. The engine sits toward the passenger side for more clearance to the front diff. Since the engine, tranny, and tcase are shifted, the rear diff is also shifted to reduce mis-alignment with the tcase output (i.e. less wear on the u-joints).

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To make room for the front driveshaft

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
In order to run the driveline down the centerline of the vehicle it would need to be really, really tall which would mean a very high center of gravity, leading to the need to slow down to about 5 mph to go around corners.

Back in the early Bronco days rolling over because you went around a corner too fast would make everyone think you were an idiot, in these modern times you would sue the manufacturer.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Why did the mars lander crash into mars. Because engineers dont work with other. They do thier job and there is no assembly engineer so you get fixes after the crash

Digger556

Why did the mars lander crash into mars. Because engineers dont work with other. They do thier job and there is no assembly engineer so you get fixes after the crash

latest

The driveline is offset for clearance of the driveshaft, front diff, transfercase, etc. It's 4x4 in a very narrow frame.

yakelys69

Front axle is wider than rear so it tracks better. The rest I think is a combination of packaging and functionality.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And more room for the steering shaft as well. It isn't just the Bronco that is offset. I remember watching a Chrysler build once and they didn't like the factory offset. So they wanted it centered. Lots of work done, just for appearance.

It can be even worse. I did a Ranger V8 swap once. Found out it was not only offset, but crooked. The tailshaft was extra offset to the passenger side. Best I can tell it was to give more room in the driver's footwell.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you imagine the tight tunnel clearance and your right leg if everything was shifted left? Be a pretty tight fit for the driver.
Not sure if that actually had anything to do with the original reasoning (I like Rumcustom's take on it) but I'm sure it made our lives much easier.

Paul

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Can you imagine the tight tunnel clearance and your right leg if everything was shifted left? Be a pretty tight fit for the driver.
Not sure if that actually had anything to do with the original reasoning (I like Rumcustom's take on it) but I'm sure it made our lives much easier.

Paul

This ^ is what I always thought it was. Room for the pedals. I first noticed it years ago on a 70 E350 2wd van that also was offset to the right. With the engine setting between driver & passenger feet there wouldn't have been proper room for pedals if it was centered. The passenger had a narrow foot box.