• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why No Bronco Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors?

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
I noticed that Performance Friction makes two grades. Regular and Z-Rated. Which are you guys advocating for the Bronco?

Thanks,
Mikey

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Carbon metallic is 25.99, Z rated is 96.99, your call ;D

I'm running the first.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
....Actually, the Z-rated is $39.99 off the AutoZone website. Take a look! Not a bad price! What do you guys think!

Keep in mind this is for the Chevy conversion....I used 75 Chevy Blazer 4WD 350 engine for the search.

Mikey

GusI

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
IIRC, the z-rated pads require a bit of heat in them before they start grabbing. I'd go with the standard pads, myself.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
What the hell are "cantilever brakes?" I think I'll carry a big boat anchor on a chain!

I'm agreeing with getting the standard as I've heard the Z-rated are harsh on rotors and make a lot of noise and dust, not that we'd notice noise and dust. :D

I need to hook up with iwlbcnu as he has the same crazy Ford bug as I've got! Look at that line up! You are only missing the classic Ford/Mercury. I started life with the 68 Cougar, moved to the 5.0s and needed something to haul the kayaks and survive the snow. That naturally led to the Bronco. That is a huge change in thinking.....hot rod to 4x4.

Mikey

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I was quoting factory 77 Bronco pads, figures the Chebbie crap would be cheaper :(

The Cyclone is CLASSIC Mercury ;)
I wouldn't mind messing w/ an old flat head one day.

When you get bored do some digging here: http://groups.msn.com/IWLBCNU/ and you can see most of what I have going on. I have a short attention span sometimes ;)

Right now, I'm still working on 2 of the Broncos, the YZF has the engine torn down replacing the 2nd gear, working on an old Sears Suburban, and trying to build a garage so I can start some bigger projects.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
GusI said:
You'll need to complete these tests within a couple hours of each other to be truly valid. Starting in the early afternoon might be best to allow some heat to get into the road to improve traction a bit, dpendending on where you're at.

My supposition of what you'll find: No meaningful difference. Remember, we're talking about a G-Tech, I presume. It's fairly accurate for what it is, but it's not an institutional quality instrument, nor is it completely calibrated. Differences of a few percentage points either way for the combinations is unlikely to mean anything.

Hmmm... that's pretty much what I did when I compared some no-name "premium" Napa pads, Performance Friction Carbon Metallics and the Raybestos Brute Stops I have now. Admittedly my test was qualitative because I didn't measure exact stopping distances. I did around-town driving with some hard stops, several hard stops from 60 mph, some stops on dirt before an after heating up the pads with the above hard stops, and I even resored to driving around with one foot on the brake to *really* heat them up. Yes, no hard numbers, however, I can make some observations.

The no-name pads didn't stop well, period. The only circumstances under which I could lock the front tires was after heating them up, and then only on dirt.

The Performance Friction pads were terrible when cold. Rolling up to a major intersection near my house was an exercise in marginally controlled terror. The pedal was plenty firm (no surprise, since my brakes were well bled and this exercise didn't involve opening brake lines) but it felt like the pads were greased. After numerous hard stops and 1/4 mile of dragging the brakes at 50+ mph, that changed. These pads would launch me through the windshield with little pedal pressure, in fact the front end would shudder, they would grip so well. They were easily the best pads in my test when hot. The problem was, as I explained in my previous post, that under normal circumstances, they never get warmed up. Most of my driving is in the flats, mixed suburban and freeways. The difference between cold and hot was extremely unsubtle. Definitely not a few percentage points. If I could have the braking power all the time that these pads offered when hot, I'd be a happy guy.

The Raybestos Brute Stops were the best pads when cold. They couldn't match the PF Carbon Metallics when hot, and in fact I've noticed that unlike the PF pads, they *will* fade a bit during long descents out of the Sierra Nevada mountains. I prefer them simply because for my style of driving, they have the best all-around stopping power.

So there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. One other thing I should point out is that PF doesn't offer the Z-Rated pads for the single piston Ford calipers, so only you Chevy-brakes guys can use them- if you want to spend the money. Kind of strange, considering the renaissance of interest in older disc-brake-equipped Ford vehicles.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Hmmm ;D

BRAKE PAD/SHOE - FRONT for a
1977 FORD TRUCK BRONCO
Item Part
No.

PFC-CARBON-METALIC 0504 LLT $25.99
MULTI-LAYER TECHNOLOGY FOR NOISE REDUCTION, SUPERIOR
STOPPING PERFORMANCE, PREVENTS SOFT/MUSHY PEDAL.

PFC-Z-RATED 050Z LLT $96.99

;D

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I'm glad to see I'm not the only raybestos fan. I saw the program on TNN that covered their manufacture. I like em.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Hey Monkey Boy! <Now don't get mad, I only call those I like "Monkey Boy"> I said I have the Chevy conversion, not the Ford!!! ....and you thought I was smokin' the funny stuff!

Anyway, I don't live in the flats, I'm in the mountains so I'm trying the regular Performance Frictions. I'll let you guys know this weekend how it worked.

My Capri uses the Bendix Titanium Metallics and the first stop out the drive is like.....Whoa! Nelly!!! After that, they stop great!

Stay Tuned!
Mikey

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
iwlbcnu said:
Hmmm ;D

BRAKE PAD/SHOE - FRONT for a
1977 FORD TRUCK BRONCO
Item Part
No.

PFC-CARBON-METALIC 0504 LLT $25.99
MULTI-LAYER TECHNOLOGY FOR NOISE REDUCTION, SUPERIOR
STOPPING PERFORMANCE, PREVENTS SOFT/MUSHY PEDAL.

PFC-Z-RATED 050Z LLT $96.99

;D

I stand corrected. When I last checked, they didn't. For what it's worth, the "50" in the number is the identifier for the Ford style pad. As in "0504" and "050Z".

And I don't get mad. I get even.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Alright, guys....

I put in the regular Performance Friction pads this weekend and bedded them in. That fixed my braking problem completely! Didn't notice any poor cold performance at all. Yahooooooo!!!!

My no-name pads looked like they were wearing a small strip in the middle.....weird. Must not have bedded in and rode up on a high spot....got hot and out-gassed so it never fully bedded.

My buddy got his rotors and very early results show about 10 foot reduction in stopping distance. Full report is slated when he's done playing with them.......

Stay tuned!!!

Mikey

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Mikey said:
Alright, guys....

I put in the regular Performance Friction pads this weekend and bedded them in. That fixed my braking problem completely! Didn't notice any poor cold performance at all. Yahooooooo!!!!

My no-name pads looked like they were wearing a small strip in the middle.....weird. Must not have bedded in and rode up on a high spot....got hot and out-gassed so it never fully bedded.

My buddy got his rotors and very early results show about 10 foot reduction in stopping distance. Full report is slated when he's done playing with them.......

Stay tuned!!!

Mikey

Now go find a long descent somewhere. If you like the way they stop now, I'll bet you'll like them even more when they get hot. Like I wrote before, the ones I tried were unbelievable when they were cooking. I'm curious if you get the same results.

I still want a hydroboost. Someday...