• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why Synthetics-FYI?

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I am a firm believer in synthetic oil. I broke this engine once IN HALF and everything inside was re-usable except one piston. I mean EVERYTHING ! The rings and bearings were like new after a couple of years in the car and hundreds of drag strip passes. The block still had hone marks in it as well. I was surprised to find out there were no bent rods or damage to the crank but it all checked out fine. Newer 5.0 blocks just can't take the pace after about 500 hp. ;D

Attachments

• broken block.jpg
    broken block.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 191

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I am a firm believer in synthetic oil as well. i've been running synthetics since the mid 80's. Was intoduced to them by my engine builder that was building my dirt bike 2 stroke race engines. I still run synthetics to this day in my race bike which is now a four stroke and constantly see's abuse between 5,000 to 12,000 rpm. I'm now a full on synthetic convert. I run the stuff in everthing I own from the bronco, the wifes exterra, my commuter tacoma and even my craftsman lawn mower. Although this subject has always been highly contoversial. I feel that synthetics are the way to go weather it's Mobil 1, castrol, red line, royal purple or Amsoil. The results are best seen overtime. JMO

http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/409000.htm

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.html

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I think the stuff is great for a Bronco or a motor home or a boat that sits alot. The oil wont go acidic or break down with moisture on you.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Its good stuff but dont run it all winter if you live in a real cold climate area and drive a short distance to work. The water build up over the course of a long winter makes an excellent tan jello mold in the pan and valve covers pretty much trashing the motor. I rebuilt one years back for a friend and everything was ruined in the motor, bearings, cam, lifters,rockers. You litterally had to scoop the crap out of the pan like a thick mud. He drove 1 mile to work in Colstrip Montana on Amsoil. Theres nothing wrong with Amsoil but you cant have the water buildup never burn off.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
1992 F150 4X4 with a 300 6 and a 4 speed, 1 year old at the time. Im not trying to argue that its good stuff but the oil change interval dont work for a long winter with a short comute. The motor still ran but it sounded like a thrashing machine. He asked me what to buy next and I told him a for sale sign which he did.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I have seen the " mud " but I still got protection. On the first engine I was lifting the heads ( too much Nitrous system not enough fuel ;D ) and every time it lifted the head, I would get water in the pan. NEVER hurt a bearing EVER.
I'm a little strange at times. I once went to a track and ran in a fast street car shootout. I had to let water out of the pan and change two plugs after every run. I WON ! I wipped ALL of those chevy guys in front of about 10,000 people. Not only did I win but I ran the lowest E.T. and the fastest mph for the whole night. If I didn't think the synthetic would allow me to abuse the engine that way , I would have went home after qualifing. Hey, I never had a chance to race in front of that many people and I didn't want to miss out.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
mtkawboy said:
Its good stuff but dont run it all winter if you live in a real cold climate area and drive a short distance to work. The water build up over the course of a long winter makes an excellent tan jello mold in the pan and valve covers pretty much trashing the motor. I rebuilt one years back for a friend and everything was ruined in the motor, bearings, cam, lifters,rockers. You litterally had to scoop the crap out of the pan like a thick mud. He drove 1 mile to work in Colstrip Montana on Amsoil. Theres nothing wrong with Amsoil but you cant have the water buildup never burn off.
The same thing will happen with dino oil. It happened to my Mom's car.%)

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Absolutely, its not a problem with either oil its a problem with the oil change interval. I change mine every 2 months in the winter even if it has only 500 miles on it. Maybe thats a little over doing it but Ive never had motor trouble so its worth it to me. Oil is cheap compared to a motor. In a hot climate the synthetic is the best but I chnage every 3 months or 2000 miles anyway the rest of the year. I run Mobil 1 in my Harley so I dont have any problem with it.