• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why the love affair w/ super single exhaust?

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
I'm just curious. I had a 3" single lung 14 years ago...it was alright, but I always wished I had duals. What's the reasoning everyone is going single again lately?

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
My reasoning is because of space. With the doubler and 351/C6 combo, theres not much room.

David

grant_71

Bronco Guru
More torque, less tube= less cost= less to bend most people dont want/ cant have super loud exhaust in their neighborhoods etc. Just my .02.

Grant

OsideDave

Not sure about performance but it seems the exhaust shops are pushing them these days. Obvisously they are saving $ when making single systems over duals but they stil charge the same.

stock74

I plan to switch to a single exhaust eventually. A single exhaust is supposed to help in the torque department, it saves space, less likely to catch on stuff while 4-wheeling, and if you have EFI it keeps the heat away from the fuel pump (assuming your pump is on one side of the vehicle and the exhaust is on the opposite side of the vehicle) which will help extend the life of the pump.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
I have a single 2.5 inch exhaust with a Dynomax muffler and a turn down. Sounds great and I paid next to nothing for the exhaust work. I would have to dig up the reciept but I believe I paid around 150.00 for my local muffler shop to bend up a new y-pipe and throw a muffler up as close to the floor as possible. Still nice and quiet for my neighbors too.;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I did a 2 into 1 muffler back about 7+ years ago. My reasoning was cost and packaging. I looked at it as 1 muffler costs less then 2. It is easier to package 1 muffler under my rig then two. Go with larger pipe and the flow should be the same.

Then a year or so ago the "super single" hit the market. With one dyno test it bacame the system that solves every problem. I am sure that on some engines it helps. On the same note I will say on some engines it will hurt.

I wouldn't call it a love affiar. Just a simple solution now that large diameter exhaust pipe is available. Before 3" pipe was common the normal route was use something in the 2-2½", which flows half what a 3" flows.

OP
OP
71 LUBER

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
All good points. So I'll throw this out to the engine experts. My 302 has less than 10K on it. 9:1 compression, RV cam, flat top pistons, hardened seats, HD valve springs, Edelbrock intake and Carter 600 CFM 4 bbl. Where's my best balance of deep, throaty sound and performance gains...putting a 3" single back on or 2.5" duals, 2.25" duals? I don't have neighbors to piss off but I don't want it deafening to drive. It's a permanently topless, summer only ride.

Curious on the opinions I'll get. When the resto is done it will be 95% street/show with the occasional easier trail ride at Bronco events. I won't be crawling anywhere where I risk damaging the 10 years of work I have in this thing.

Even with the old 3" single on it, my wife says she always knew when I was coming home. She could hear the rumble coming down the block back when we lived in a neighborhood. I never thought it was that pronounced when driving it myself.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Then go back to the single Y pipe if you still have it. Otherwise why spend the cash to change? If you want it loud drill a hole but thats not recomended.

I run a Y becuase the NP205 is in the way on the driverside and it keeps the fuel line and wiring cool. I could have run duals side by side down the passenger side but having 2 mufflers welded together or running an expensive dual muffler didn't seem cheap or space saving. I went with a single 3" Flow Master muffler. Its loud but after wheeling with guys with quiet rigs it seems like I want to quiet mine down. I really don't need the attention when driving mine on the street. I must be getting old %)

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Mine is pretty quiet with dual Magnaflows. I often get comments from people on the trails when they lean up against it and realize it's still running. I.E. It's quieter than most of the rigs around it. It does however open up if I punch it but I don't need to worry much about waking up the neighbors as long as I just cruise into the neighborhood. (I'm normally more worried about waking them up with the stereo) Note that I am not trying to talk anyone out of the single pipes but rather that the noise level isn't really a good enough reason for them since a quiet exhaust is obtainable either way.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I had a much bigger noise reduction switching from long tube JD headers to stock mustang shorties than from the duals to single.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I installed a reversed 18' magnaflow dual inlet/single out - 2 1/4" in and 2 1/2" out - because of all the reasons posted above. I am really happy with it. It's not loud at all until you really put your foot into it, then it wakes up pretty nicely.

The same set up using a 3" outlet is quite a bit louder.

OP
OP
71 LUBER

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
Good stuff guys, thanks for posting. As for the original Y setup...it's all been scrapped long ago. It sat outside for years and wasn't worth salvaging. I was thinking of running headers, but now am leaning towards just keeping a stock 302 manifold setup to avoid the headaches of headers.

Any input on the best bang for the buck with my engine set up?

OP
OP
71 LUBER

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
Mine is pretty quiet with dual Magnaflows. I often get comments from people on the trails when they lean up against it and realize it's still running. I.E. It's quieter than most of the rigs around it. It does however open up if I punch it but I don't need to worry much about waking up the neighbors as long as I just cruise into the neighborhood. (I'm normally more worried about waking them up with the stereo) Note that I am not trying to talk anyone out of the single pipes but rather that the noise level isn't really a good enough reason for them since a quiet exhaust is obtainable either way.

That's what I'm going for, a nice sounding/performing setup that has that deep, hollow (Borla like without the cost) sound but not annoyingly loud like the old cheap glasspacks. Be it 3" single or duals. That's why I posted asking for info from those who know far more than me and real world experience.

I haven't heard mine run for 10 years...I forget what it even sounds like :-[

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
That's what I'm going for, a nice sounding/performing setup that has that deep, hollow (Borla like without the cost) sound but not annoyingly loud like the old cheap glasspacks. Be it 3" single or duals. That's why I posted asking for info from those who know far more than me and real world experience.

I haven't heard mine run for 10 years...I forget what it even sounds like :-[

Here is a thread I did when I installed my transmision/shifters/exhaust

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93551&highlight=magnaflow

If you want a deep sound, I bet you would love this setup. My friend did it for me, and made the Y pipe. Though you might want to look into this Y pipe

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=860

OP
OP
71 LUBER

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
Here is a thread I did when I installed my transmision/shifters/exhaust

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93551&highlight=magnaflow

If you want a deep sound, I bet you would love this setup. My friend did it for me, and made the Y pipe. Though you might want to look into this Y pipe

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=860

Interesting. I'm not sure my engine could benefit (not built enough) to run dual 3". I'm worried dual 2.5" might be too large. But then again, I know squat about this stuff %)

3" definitely seems to change the pitch a lot from what I remember of my 3" single. It's much deeper and more "hollow" sounding, while not being loud.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Interesting. I'm not sure my engine could benefit (not built enough) to run dual 3". I'm worried dual 2.5" might be too large. But then again, I know squat about this stuff %)

3" definitely seems to change the pitch a lot from what I remember of my 3" single. It's much deeper and more "hollow" sounding, while not being loud.
If you go with duals then for the size I would go with 2" for a stock motor or 2 1/4" for a built one. Any larger and you will lose some low end torque.

Note: This is for a dual system. For a single one the pipe needs to be larger.

Last edited:

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass