• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why won't my bronco start???? FIXED

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
OK guys, I've read the searches, and checked out my bronco. I'm slightly limited on tools since this happened to me at my girlfriends house. I tried to start the bronco up earlier and got nothing. Well, fuel gauge works, lights and radio work too. i tried jumping it for a while, got nothing. I pulled the terminals and cleaned those and reattached. Still nothing. No clicks, no sounds that it might even be trying to turn over. I crossed the solenoid, no luck there either. Is my soleniod more than likely the culprit? This thing has been a daily driver for almost 8 months and I've never had any problems until now. Please help me guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
YelloTx73

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
No, it won't turn over, I cant get it to start at all. I figure its probably my solenoid or my starter, but the PO had installed one not too long before I bought it. I also just put on new plugs, wires and air cleaner too about a month ago and it was running fine when I parked on friday night. Its rained pretty good since last night, and now its giving me trouble, never has before

hackyrat

With lights on try starting and see if lights dim to nothing. Have someone stand and look/listen to battery terminals for arcs or spitting noises. See if you are getting voltage to solenoid when trying to crank. Also check alternator belt for tightness in case it is not charging.

I would take another look at those terminals on battery. I had similar situation and even after cleaning would not work. The terminals had a very hard glaze I could not break it off. A new set of battery leads and severe batt terminal cleaning fixed my problem.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
start with the sol. and check total output to the starter. then go to the voltage regulator. if you are getting juice to the starter then it's probably a bad one.

OP
OP
YelloTx73

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
I probably could use some terminals, these ones look pretty old. I figured I could at least pull the starter and go get it checked. I don't access to any of my tools right now, no voltage meter, etc... just some wrenches and screwdrivers that are over here. Thanks guys

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Try jumping right to the starter relay from the jumpers and see if it engages. (Listen to the relay itself) I.E. Completely bypass your battery leads. Could just be a bad ground on the starter relay.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
My psychic intuition tells me it's your cables and especially the black one, replace both :eek:

Last edited:

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Automatic ? - Try making sure it is all the way in " P " and wiggle it around. And then try starting it in " N ". Might be neutral safty switch.

OP
OP
YelloTx73

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
yes, its an auto, I didn't even think about. I know it was mentioned earlier as well. I just went ahead and pulled my starter off and am going to go have it checked, I'm also going to replace the solenoid since it looks like it might be as old as the truck, and when I was trying to undive wires from it, i snapped off one of the posts. I'll guess I'll know shortly

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If it was the nuetral safety or ignition switch the starter relay would still engage the starter if it is manually jumped. If the relay doesn't engage (I.E. Click) then either it is bad or there is no power getting to it. (Battery cables or battery) Jumping the relay itself eliminates it from the choices which leaves either cables or the battery as the only culprits. I.E. If you jump the relay from a known good battery and it does click then it has to be cables or battery. (Or perhaps a bad ground on the relay itself)

OP
OP
YelloTx73

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Starter was good. I just changed out the solenoid since I broke off a post on the old one. Put everything back in and she started right up. So I guess that was it. Thanks to all you guys