• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wild horse 4.5" lift bilstein 7100

Gahendo

Anyone running this setup with dual shocks on the corners? I have thelift kit and want to order the shocks but they don't quite match up to the wh shocks included in the kit. Maybe I'll need to change out the bump stops or run limiting straps. Any other shocks that may work?

Wh shock lengths are:
front 29"extended and 17.25 collapsed
front 26.5"extended and 15.75" collapsed
rear is 33"extended and 19" collapsed

Bilstein 7100s short body shocks are
27.68" extended and 16.1 collapsed
33.8" extended and 19.45 collapsed

TN1776

Bronco Guru
WH can answer your questions if you give them a call, they are very helpful.

In my experience, "kits" will get you close but actually measuring your spring travel without shocks installed is the only way to be sure. Bump stops are always a good idea, however in my case none that are sold by WH are actually tall enough to limit shock compression - I had to get a little custom with the way I mounted them, as have several friends.

You are on the right track wanting the Bilstein shocks and you can probably get away with singles at each corner. It's the cheaper shocks that usually require duals to be effective in my experience.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which shock mounts are you using? And what type of wheeling are you planning?

The 33 - 19 shocks obviously will work just fine, size-wise, in the same positions as the WH shocks of that size. And that's typically what we stock in the 14" travel reservoir style.
Our number BIL88009 has the typical valving for a rear in a single shock application. and BIL 88010 would be the heavier valving for a front mount. Slightly stiffer though, than the typical Bilstein 5100 front shock we sell.

There are some shocks available in the 10" and 12" travel series that come close in size characteristics to the lengths of the 26.5 -15.75 shocks you list.
They are 27.68 - 16.1 and 25.77 -16.1 respectively. While neither is exact, they're likely close enough to get you where you want to go. Depending on just where that is of course.

For the 29 = 17.25 shocks, there are 31.1 -19.53 lengths that are fairly close, but certainly not exact.

Some have valving that matches the 5100's, while some are stiffer or softer. And there are always custom valving options as well, if you know what you need.

Most of those would be special order possibly, but most likely not a long wait time except for the custom valved option.

Paul