• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will a 2.5in or 3.5in suspension lift make my bronco drive worse?

Cstahl

1975 bronco ranger completely stock other than a bigger motor. I have a thing where every vehicle I owe I put a lift in it. Currently I put a lift in my ‘08 F350 and it completely changed how the thing drove for the worse, but I have a ‘96 f350 and the lift didn’t change how it drove at all. Obviously the broncos are a different story meaning how they drive with the short wheel base and seems to be more touchy. Mine is uncut but I’d like to fit 31’s for tires not sure which lift I’ll need preferably the 2.5’. How bad will the suspension lift affect how the driving is?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
It can be a can of worms........

Lots of factors come into play when you start adding lift. Lift seems to amplify issues with the suspension that stock was hiding.

It's not just the lift....the bigger tires add to the list of possible issues to deal with.

2.5SL seems to have the least amount of issues. That's not to say there are no issues as every bronco is different. You get above 2.5 and (I now i'm throwing a blanket over all Broncos) caster becomes an issue. The C bushing only go up to 7 degrees which are designed to be used with 3.5SL but most of us have to run the 7 degree bushings on our 2.5. That leaves the only way to get correct caster is to cut the ends off the D44 and rotate them.

To get my 2.5SL 1 inch BL to drive right, I had to replace every single thing up front. Every Bronco is different so I can't say that everyone has to do this but for the most part, 40 year old parts need changing or rebuilding......

My rig drive great at any speed.....Then I went from 31's to 33's and picked up just a touch of squirreieness. It's tire related.......Sidewall roll is what it feels like......Just haven't put in the time to make the adjustments needed to try and clear it up.

I think 2.5SL and 1 inch BL is a damn fine look on a Bronco.

Tim

Tim

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I agree with Timmy, 2.5 sl + 1 BL is a great combo. Still drives nice but I can fit 33" tires no problem.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
A suspension lift on a '76-'77 isn't a good idea. The inverted Y steering linkage is the best handling of the EBs but doesn't work as well with more than about 1 1/2" lift in front. A Moog CC814 coil will give you that and things work well. It levels the truck without hurting the handling. As for a body lift I used Frenchy's rubber body mount bushings that lift the body 3/4" and dampen the harshness. I also use 31X10.50 tires and the whole thing works well with stock 2.5 degree C bushings. Like most things a little lift with a little bigger tires improves the truck. Going extreme won't work well and will break things. Too many think if something is worth doing, it's worth over doing.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Suspension systems that we have access to today from our Bronco vendors are A Lot more comfortable than the original springs!

I agree, the 2 1/2" Suspension Lift Kit with a 1" Body Lift works great. Add Extended Axle Brake Lines, Extended E-Brake Cables and an Adjustable Trac Bar and you are set. I have this Lift combo on my 76 Bronco with 265/70/17s and 17x8.5 wheels.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Typically, a 3.5" kit will drive better than a 2" kit.
I know it doesn't sound right, but a 3.5" kit comes with a track bar dropping bracket. A 2" lift has the same issues, but isn't quite so far off.
When it's done, the 3.5" has better geometry.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
If done wrong yes, if done right no. But I’ve spent lots of time and effort working with James Duff to take the guess work out. Call them and order the Duck Tuff lift and you will have a very nice riding and driving bronco.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Where does this perceived "need" for a lift come from? Is it the herd mentality? I don't see any real need that can be articulated using facts. An adolescent's idea of what looks "cool" isn't a real need. Is that where your "thing" comes from?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Typically, a 3.5" kit will drive better than a 2" kit.
I know it doesn't sound right, but a 3.5" kit comes with a track bar dropping bracket. A 2" lift has the same issues, but isn't quite so far off.
When it's done, the 3.5" has better geometry.

I've added all the bells and whistles to my 2.5SL....Drop track bar bracket, drop pitman arm and adjustable track bar. Oh and also the 7 degree bushings......

The basic 2.5SL don't come with all that so you have a point about the 3.5 driving better.......I just don't like the fact that the outer C's need to be cut and turned to dial in most (not all but most) SL lifts above 2.5

A 2.5 with the add-on's works really well.

A major issue with any Bronco lifted or not is the frame where the steering box mounts. It's prone to cracking and has an overall weakness. The factory frame inserts are JUNK and can be knocked out with a simple hammer and punch. I welded plate on both sides of the frame and added 1/4 inch wall DOM tube spaces inside the frame. It's rock solid at this point and made a huge difference in steering play.

Tim

rmk57

Where does this perceived "need" for a lift come from? Is it the herd mentality? I don't see any real need that can be articulated using facts. An adolescent's idea of what looks "cool" isn't a real need. Is that where your "thing" comes from?

^^^^^^ x100.

I would think anytime you raise the center of gravity whichever way you go about it will affect handling in a negative way. Especially on a vehicle with a 92" wheelbase.

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Mine is uncut but I’d like to fit 31’s for tires not sure which lift I’ll need preferably the 2.5’. How bad will the suspension lift affect how the driving is?

I did the JBG Superflex 2.5" + 1" BL with drop pitman arm and adjustable track bar (to re-center the axle) 31x10.5 on the stock 5.5" wheels, drives perfect and even if the body dropped the fenders would not hit the tires..but not sure what stock wheel size is on 75?.

Conversely, I did 3.5" + 1" BL on my 72 with 35x12.50, drop pitman, 3-way adjustable drag link/trackbar, 7 degree C-bushings etc. All these things made it drive better, but still not right...stick with 2.5" and you'll be good

Tim I'd like to hear more about your steering box bracing when you get time, or send me a pic thanks

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin

I think a lifted Bronco looks VERY 'cool' and I'm 48 years old ;D

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I did the JBG Superflex 2.5" + 1" BL with drop pitman arm and adjustable track bar (to re-center the axle) 31x10.5 on the stock 5.5" wheels, drives perfect and even if the body dropped the fenders would not hit the tires..but not sure what stock wheel size is on 75?.

Conversely, I did 3.5" + 1" BL on my 72 with 35x12.50, drop pitman, 3-way adjustable drag link/trackbar, 7 degree C-bushings etc. All these things made it drive better, but still not right...stick with 2.5" and you'll be good

Tim I'd like to hear more about your steering box bracing when you get time, or send me a pic thanks

Basically made my own BC kit with added plate on both sides. The link shows the frame inserts (stock and upgraded. I just welded plate to both sides. Note there are 4 mounting bolts.....I have the Delphi box. Don't laugh at my welding....not good at all at those angles but it's solid....

https://bcbroncos.com/shop/steering...box-frame-reinforcement-kit-for-early-bronco/

Tim

Attachments

• 20180420_112311.jpg
    20180420_112311.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20180420_112220.jpg
    20180420_112220.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 52

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Basically made my own BC kit with added plate on both sides. The link shows the frame inserts (stock and upgraded. I just welded plate to both sides. Note there are 4 mounting bolts.....I have the Delphi box. Don't laugh at my welding....not good at all at those angles but it's solid....

https://bcbroncos.com/shop/steering...box-frame-reinforcement-kit-for-early-bronco/

Tim
Who would laugh? The crap welds these Broncos came with, I like seeing wavy lines that prove heat penetration.

Another option is WH 2.5 or 3.5" SL w/ a 1" BL. I've read many people happy with those ss well I would suggest you choose a bronco vendor near you. As the freight is now expensive. And if your not going to use it for trails, go 2.5", it has less extras needed to accomplish your lift goals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk