• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will a Chevrolet S10 NV3500 boot up to a SBF

norm02

Does anyone know if an NV3500 out of a Chevy S10 will bolt up to a 302-351 Windsor and work with the stock D20? It seems like most people source that trans from a Jeep or a Dodge truck if I’m not mistaken.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
The Jeep tranny is an NV3550 NOT NV3500........different beasts.

Don't know anything about the NV3500, but the adapter I used was specifically for the NV3550.

Nothing Special

The NV3550 used by Jeep has a separate bellhousing. So you can remove the Jeep bell and with an adapter plate you can bolt it to a Ford bell to put it behind a Ford small block.

The NV3500 is essentially the same trans but the bellhousing is integral with the trans case (like an automatic, or many of the newer manual transmissions). I can't say with 100% confidence that a Chevy bell can't be attached to a Ford small block. But in the relatively unlikely chance that it could I'm sure it would be a TON of work.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It will not bolt on without some kind of adapter. And I doubt that they're common, if they exist at all.
And the input shaft would be different from what we normally deal with too, regarding diameter and spline count. At least I think that's the case, but you can verify that with any clutch manufacturer's specifications.

And I don't think it's got the more desirable gear ratios, even if it does shift nicely.
And you'd want to make sure that it has a 4wd tailhousing and a high enough torque capacity to work well in a Bronco however yours will be outfitted.

In other words, keep looking...

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Even if you bolted it to the engine, the transfer case splines will be different.

As Paul stated, keep looking.