• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will an edelbrock intake/carb setup work on a 5.0 HO?

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
I've got a mutt of a motor - using edelbrock intake and carb (1406) - works good for me. Been a while but I think they have a 4-piece gasket - so you can run into an issue. I used their gasket plus some form-a-gasket and it sealed up fine.

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
Used the side gaskets on mine and silicone on the front and back haven't had any problems yet. Did it 5 years ago still working fine used Weiand intake & 4160 Holley carb. Mines a 93 HO Mustang engine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It will work. Few odd cases of leaking gaskets but proper care selecting and installing the gaskets will prevent issues. don't forget to use a compatable distributor gear with the roller cam.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It will work I believe you have to use 302 intake gaskets not 5.0 intake gaskets. Slightly different water port sizes on the gaskets which can cause leaks.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Boy....I'm sure counting on it working!!!

Attachments

• BajaResto2008-Day15xxxx 004.jpg
    BajaResto2008-Day15xxxx 004.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 37

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Well, give the 302 gasket a try. I had so much trouble on my new 5.0 FR crate motor with GT40 aluminum heads that I gave up and converted to EFI using an Explorer intake. I tried to start the engine about five times after VERY careful sealing and fussing with the carb intake and each time all I got was clouds of white (water vapor) out the exhaust. And I tried EVERYTHING [period]. So, good luck.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Well, give the 302 gasket a try. I had so much trouble on my new 5.0 FR crate motor with GT40 aluminum heads that I gave up and converted to EFI using an Explorer intake. I tried to start the engine about five times after VERY careful sealing and fussing with the carb intake and each time all I got was clouds of white (water vapor) out the exhaust. And I tried EVERYTHING [period]. So, good luck.

The Ford Racing GT 40 alluminum heads can be a bitch to seal up, and if you don't use the right gasket forget about it. The problem with these heads in the intake ports are bigger than the older style heads.

I don't know what the size of the intake runners are on the stock 5.0 HO's but I think they are a bit smaller than the Alluminum heads.

With the the larger runners of the Alluminum GT 40 heads the performer 289 intake is really hard to seal like mars found out. With those heads you really need the performer rpm intake part number 7121 and use the Ford racing gasket M-9439-A50

So depending what heads a stock Mustang 5.0 HO might have this is something to think about.