• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will any rear sump oilpan work on 351W

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Getting a 351w roller crate engine this week and trying to find parts for it that I need. One of witch is an oil pan. A buddy of mine is going to sell me one of his that is rear sump but didn't know what it came out of. I haven't looked at it yet (will tomorrow) and searching on the forum it seems a lot of people use one the came out of a truck. I do have 3 inch suspension lift, so from my research I should be ok if it came out of a car. Anything I need to look for?? Thanks

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Van pans are a great fit... if it clears your diff and anything else that could cause interference, you're good to go.

That's all we used to use before we had "Bronco Vendors"...!! ;D

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Also remember that it must be from a 351w. 302 pans don't fit. A roller block has the dipstick going through the block just above the pan rail. The pan has a special divot for it that isn't on the pre-roller pans. No cars got a roller 351w. Truck or van from '94-'97 is your best bet. Don't be surprised if the front differential kisses the corner of the sump a time or two. Probably be ok with a D30 though.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Van pans are a great fit... if it clears your diff and anything else that could cause interference, you're good to go.

Ha I'm still using one.;)

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

Using a 96 E350 van pan and dipstick....no issues.....

Tim

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Also remember that it must be from a 351w. 302 pans don't fit. A roller block has the dipstick going through the block just above the pan rail. The pan has a special divot for it that isn't on the pre-roller pans. No cars got a roller 351w. Truck or van from '94-'97 is your best bet. Don't be surprised if the front differential kisses the corner of the sump a time or two. Probably be ok with a D30 though.
I was under the impression that the dipstick went thru the pan and not the block. This might cause me an issue:cry:

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
USED Crown vic 5.8 pan on both of mine....make sure you get the appropriate sump for whatever you use

jckkys

Bronco Guru
To clear things up, you need to know there is no Ford oil pan designed for the 351W/5.8 engine in an EB chassis. The most commonly used for a 351 swap is the '79-'91 LTD/Crown Vic pan. They were mostly sold in police cars and all have dip sticks in the pan. They are also what all the EB vendors sell. Before this, Duff's sold a spliced 302 Bronco and 351W pan that used a 302 EB pan with the rear main saddle from a 351 pan welded on. These were likely the best and only 351 pans designed for EBs. The expense of making these, and the availability of cheap '79 up 351 LTD/Crown Vic pans, ended that practice. The LTD/Crown Vic pan isn't a real Bronco design but they work better than any other Ford 351 pan in the '66-'77 Bronco chassis. The later 351 block with a dip stick hole, would need either the block or pan dip stick hole plugged.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
To clear things up, you need to know there is no Ford oil pan designed for the 351W/5.8 engine in an EB chassis. The most commonly used for a 351 swap is the '79-'91 LTD/Crown Vic pan. They were mostly sold in police cars and all have dip sticks in the pan. They are also what all the EB vendors sell. Before this, Duff's sold a spliced 302 Bronco and 351W pan that used a 302 EB pan with the rear main saddle from a 351 pan welded on. These were likely the best and only 351 pans designed for EBs. The expense of making these, and the availability of cheap '79 up 351 LTD/Crown Vic pans, ended that practice. The LTD/Crown Vic pan isn't a real Bronco design but they work better than any other Ford 351 pan in the '66-'77 Bronco chassis. The later 351 block with a dip stick hole, would need either the block or pan dip stick hole plugged.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. Motor hasn't been delivered yet but will be calling them before they close tonight to see if I need to get up early in the morning. My buddy brought BOTH pans, one without a dipstick and one with a dipstick. He explained to be that I might have an issue with using the dipstick in the block for header clearance...They both looked similar in design so I think if my block has a prevision for a dipstick Ill be going that route...

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My buddy brought BOTH pans, one without a dipstick and one with a dipstick. He explained to be that I might have an issue with using the dipstick in the block for header clearance...They both looked similar in design so I think if my block has a prevision for a dipstick Ill be going that route...

I ran my van pan dip stick in the block with both E7 and GT40P heads with Bronco Hut shortie headers...No issues

Long tubes you might have an issue. Not sure on that as I've not ran them on my 351w

Tim

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
An oil pan for a fox body mustang will work. summit part #FMS-M-6675-A58 for $146.

If you order one from the bronco vendors for around $200 this is what they send you at least this is what they sent me a few years ago when I bought one.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The only Fox or Mustang body to get a 351W/5.8 was the '95 Cobra R that was a limited production SVO offering. The pan was simply the Crown Victoria 5.8 pan that also worked in Mustangs. Other Fox/Mustang pans were 302/5.0 parts that won't work on 351W/5.8 engines.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Fms sold a fox mustang 351 conversion pan. It was not the same as the crown vic pan. They were similar but not the same. The 95 cobra r had the fms fox conversion pan. I was big into mustangs when the 95 r model came out in tesearched the heck out of it.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'm glad you brought up the Ford Motorsport/Ford Racing catalogs, so I had an excuse to dig them out. The 2002 Ford Racing catalog lists a M-6675-A58 conversion oil pan kit for $150. The the '86,'88,and '90 catalogs only had front sump 351 pans. The 2002 conversion pan IS the production Panther 5.8 pan used in Crown Vic police cars. The only difference is black rather than grey paint. This pan was supplied on the Ford Racing M-6007-A351 and M-6007-B351 engine assemblies. Nothing in the reference material indicates a different pan was used on the 1995 Cobra R Mustangs and there would no reason to make new stamping dies for a hand full of limited production cars when common production parts work as well. Ford used Buddy Barr made intakes for the Boss 302 and 429 engines because they wouldn't tool up for small production runs. That's their MO. I have to admit you threw me with the fms abbreviation. I thought WTF is fms?

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm glad you brought up the Ford Motorsport/Ford Racing catalogs, so I had an excuse to dig them out. The 2002 Ford Racing catalog lists a M-6675-A58 conversion oil pan kit for $150. The the '86,'88,and '90 catalogs only had front sump 351 pans. The 2002 conversion pan IS the production Panther 5.8 pan used in Crown Vic police cars. The only difference is black rather than grey paint. This pan was supplied on the Ford Racing M-6007-A351 and M-6007-B351 engine assemblies. Nothing in the reference material indicates a different pan was used on the 1995 Cobra R Mustangs and there would no reason to make new stamping dies for a hand full of limited production cars when common production parts work as well. Ford used Buddy Barr made intakes for the Boss 302 and 429 engines because they wouldn't tool up for small production runs. That's their MO. I have to admit you threw me with the fms abbreviation. I thought WTF is fms?

All I know is I put a 351w in a bronco a few years back and ordered a $200 oil pan kit from Jeffs Bronco Graveyard and the Ford Motorsport pan is what came. I thought it would be some special pan and come to find out I could have bought it from summit for $130 at the time. I took the motor out before selling that bronco and put the motor in another vehicle and had to remove the pan. I still got it and in the original box in my shop for when I put another 351w in a bronco. Therefore, I know it will work.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
my FTE came out of a van and everyone said it would work. It doesn't. Lots of heat and judicious use of a hammer got it to fit. If you were running a lot of suspension lift it might be alright, but a 1995 FTE from an E-250 will smack the hell out of the front differential at full compression.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
My 351 has the van/truck pan on it and with the stock suspension ther was about 1/4 inch clearance between the diff and the pan. You could barely push down on the front bumper and hear and feel it hit the pan. I put 3 1/2 inch lift (stiff) on it and now no problems. So no the truck/van will not work unless you have a lift. The fox pan works good and making the halfbreed 351/302 pan to make it look stock work.

Funny jckkys. Only old timers really use fms for ford motorsport. Lol

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Thanks guys for all the help...I ended up finding a pan and dipstick out of a van. I do have a 3.5 lift on it so it should be no problem. I have the pan installed and should be ready to put the engine in the next couple days....but that van oil stick....WOW that thing is long. Going to have to cut it down or something...or just get an aftermarket stick/tube for the engine. But I might run into "how many quarts is full" questions if I start to mismatch parts....but Im sure it can be done...