• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Window tint residue

Adarcy

Any suggestions on what to use to remove old window tint residue? Tried googone and a few household cleaners with no luck.

Thanks

Andy

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had good luck with Simple Green. Spray it on and let it soak for a minute or two.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
Foamy window cleaner and a razer blade. Thats what we used when I worked at a dealership. The foamy window cleaner stays in place, softens up the glue and lubricates the blade so it wont scratch the glass.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
on several cars, I've used 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner with a razor blade and clean rags

Old School

Loc.
AZ
Use a new blade and once you decied which side is up- keep it that way.
Don't flip it over. Otherwise you can really scratch the glass.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like "Bar Keepers Friend" it is like Comet only less abrasive.

Bon-Ami is the same thing I think, sort of gritty like Comet but guaranteed not to scratch glass. I've cleaned my windshields with it numerous times prior to hitting it with Rain-X and it works great...plus, it's dirt cheap.

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
Bon-Ami is the same thing I think, sort of gritty like Comet but guaranteed not to scratch glass. I've cleaned my windshields with it numerous times prior to hitting it with Rain-X and it works great...plus, it's dirt cheap.

You can also use OOOO steel wool to get stuff (overs paint over spray) off glass but sticky stuff needs to be removed with something else 1st.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I agree with Gerbow. Use a razor blade with Simple Green to get the bulk off, and follow with Simple Green and #0000 steel wool.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Use only stainless razor blades, they don't mark the glass. You can actually cut into and scratch glass with a non-stainless steel razor... don't ask how I found out. I have supplemented my income for several years doing window tinting at home.

gtnorga

I used to work at a tint shop in my teenage years....we used plain dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Spray, let it soak scrap with a razor.