• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield Frame Install

broncbusted

Loc.
South Carolina
I removed my windshield frame by drilling out the spot welds on the hinge. The Bronco has been painted and I am ready to reinstall it now with screws and nuts. My questions to all that have already done it:

1. Did you install the glass before or after mounting the frame to the Bronco?

2. Did you put a gasket or sealer between the hinge and the Bronco body when installing?

Any suggestions to make this chore go without problems will be appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I removed my windshield frame by drilling out the spot welds on the hinge. The Bronco has been painted and I am ready to reinstall it now with screws and nuts. My questions to all that have already done it:

1. Did you install the glass before or after mounting the frame to the Bronco?

2. Did you put a gasket or sealer between the hinge and the Bronco body when installing?

Any suggestions to make this chore go without problems will be appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

Since you're using screws vs welding, the mounting system will be like a 66. You will need another gasket to go between the hinge and the cowl. This is not reproduced(at least when I did my 66). I ended up using a bicycle inter tube. I used a hole punch to make the holes for the bolts. Then of course another gasket to go in between the hinge halves. This gasket is available from the bronco vendors who advertise on this forum.

Not having the windshield in the frame sure makes it lighter hence easier.

ECEB

Is there increased risk of cowl or frame rust?

Are you going to drill both the frame and the cowl?

Gwunited2

Not too far from doing this myself. I think I read somewhere that some have used stainless steel pop rivets. Have you considered that? Can't wait to see how you tackle this install.