• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield installation questions

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
So I'm going to be installing a new windshield in my EB when I get it back from paint and I have some questions for those of you who have done it before. I have watched numerous YouTube videos, including the WH video, but no one shows or mentions installing any type of sealant around the rubber. What has been your experience and how should I tackle it, with or without? If with sealant, what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Mac

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
subscribed. i did 2 also. 1st didn't leak but 2nd does... looking to seal it up.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
When I had the glass and rubber replaced, the guys said no sealant. It went through years of Portland rain with no leaks.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Frank's had a several leaks after we built his '75, despite using Sil-Glyde (which has many uses):

(phone app link)

I tried adding RightStuff, but that only slowed it down in some places, and made it drip in others. So we pulled it to change the seal & broke the original w/s. The new w/s & seal leaked even worse. So I had to pull it again to install it with RightStuff - it never leaked again.

(phone app link)

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Just used soap and water to install mine. Put a small string all the way around inside the groove. Got it started in one corner and just pull the string out while guiding in the seal.

Not sure what actually leaks when it rains with no top. :p ;D

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
called up safelight, told them needed it done in my garage, I had rubber, they did it for I think $135 including glass installed.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
called up safelight, told them needed it done in my garage, I had rubber, they did it for I think $135 including glass installed.

When I called a local shop, a guy showed up, and after a few minutes made a phone call to the shop. After a short conversation, the guy says "I know I can install it myself Dad, just get over here to help me for a minute, the Bronco is worth more than you are." Pops showed up pretty quick and we all had good laughs after that.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I've heard of flowable silicone sealant... I bought some to use on mine but the body shop installed my glass for me so I never used it...