• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiper motor/ burning smell

Ky Hillbilly

Hey guys I have a new wiper motor and wiper switch. After wiring everything th up the low speed doesn't work. When I turn to the low speed setting the is a burning smell coming from the wires!!!

Any help would be great!!

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I have noticed the "new" replacement motors available have a different wiring pattern than the old one. 2 of the major vendors diagrams that were sent with the motors were incorrect as well. I fried a motor, and later a intermittent switch box before one of the techs at a vendor figured it out. Do you have an aftermarket wiring harness? I believe those had to be modified as well to work with certain wiper motors.

OP
OP
K

Ky Hillbilly

Thanks for the replies!! The motor doesn't buzz. The high speed works and parks great. The low speed goes half way and stops, then the wires start to smoke and smell!

My bronco is a 1977 with factory wiring harness.

The motor was bought from BGY in 2011. I call BGY today and they told me it was a factory replacement and they still carry the same one. I can't seem to find a wiring schematic yet!

Thanks again!!!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's the diagram. Sounds like the park switch may be shorting to the motor case during a portion of the motor rotation.

Attachments

• wipers.jpg
    wipers.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 8
  • wiper park sw.jpg
    wiper park sw.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
K

Ky Hillbilly

Here's the diagram. Sounds like the park switch may be shorting to the motor case during a portion of the motor rotation.

Thanks so much! I'll head to the garage tonight and see what I can do! Let you guys know after that!