• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiper motor cover questions

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I started to install a wiper motor cover and visors that came with my Bronco, and it won't fit. The Bronco is a 69, and the cover has a 74 part # on it. Did ford make more than one style of wiper for the Bronco? The wiper moter is about 3" to far to the right for the cover to go into place. I have another 69, and I pulled the cover off of it, and the wiper/ linkage is definetly different. All the vendors sites show only one cover fits 69 to 77, so I assume there is only one factory wiper system. Maybe mine is some sort of aftermarket wiper system?

hucklburry rev2

My 69 had vacuum wipers. Measure the distance apart on the holes for the wipers in the windshield frame. If the one your having a problem with is closer together than a known electric wiper windshield (by like 3-4"), than you have an after market or modified electric wipers installed on a vacuum wiper windshield frame.

ajl7742

Loc.
Cade, Louisiana
Yeah, the earlier models did come with vacuum wiper motors. I believe that 1970 was the first year for electric (but I could be wrong). The only wiper kits I've seen for sale are the electric ones, probably because it's a better setup that many people switch to anyway.

OP
OP
mustangtoby

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I have 2 69's, and my green one has a wiper cover. I pulled it off, and the motor setup is different than the red one (which is the one I want to put the wiper cover on). The motor comes out of the right side of the mount, making it about 3" too long for the cover to fit. The linkage has ford part numbers, but I think the motor must be an aftermarket setup. I could trim the cover to fit, but it won't look very good, and still won't have anywhere for the screws to go into. Maybe I'll try and custom build somthing. The cover isn't the big deal to me, I just want to have visors. I saw some kind of a custom aluminum cover on one of the vendors sites, James Duff I think.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Can you post a picture of your setup? Pictures are worth 1000 words. ;D

OP
OP
mustangtoby

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
The pic's in the red one is the one that won't fit the cover, the other pic is really hard to see (bad light), but the motor in my green bronco mounts to the left, and the one in the red one mounts to the right. Also the mounting brackets for the wiper cover are part of the motor mount, I have no way to mount one in the red Bronco.

Attachments

• 100_0621.jpg
    100_0621.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_0623.jpg
    100_0623.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 51

6daze

Looks like a drop down bracket was put in for a soft top...

OP
OP
mustangtoby

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Tried to rotate to the left, bolt holes won't line up. I could redrill the holes and fab up some brackets to mount the cover to, 'bout my only option.

ocsoorlando

Loc.
Orlando
I just had my wiper cover off the other day because the arms were bumping it. My motor is rotated 180 degrees to the left. I have a 71

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is definitely a lowering bracket. Looks like a Kayline, though I'm not sure if Bestop used the same design or not.
I've never tried rotating one, but the hole-drilling scenario sounds like the best option. Unless you can find a stock one for sale somewhere?
With all the stuff laying around in our garages, or with a junkyard find, you could get lucky and just swap it out for a stock one.

Good luck.

Paul

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
My 69 came with vacuum wipers. They used up all of the 68 parts at the start of the 69 model year so some electric and some vacuum were made. A lot of the 69's have been converted to electric using the stock vacuum holes in the windshield, this makes about a 4" wider setup than the factory electric wipers. In order to convert the vacuum setup to electric and use the factory cover, one new hole has to be drilled in the windshield and abandon the stock hole.